• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best mobile antenna

KOK5CY

I'm looking at installing a nmo 6" on a trunk lid mount in a few days. The 6" is only temporary till I can get a better antenna. So what is the best brand for the GMRS band for a trunk lid mount.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
"Best" can mean a bunch of different things.

Based on your mounting location, an elevated feed UHF antenna would get the radiating element above the vehicle roof. That would give you a better omnidirectional pattern as opposed to a 1/4 wave spike mounted down below the roof line.
Drawback is it's taller than the vehicle, and may strike things.

Some may say that 'more gain is always better'. Not always. Not sure which Collinsville you are in, but flat areas can benefit from more gain where the antenna throws more signal at the horizon. If you are surrounded by mountains, lower gain can work better.

I'm in an area surrounded by hills, so I found that simple 1/4 wave antennas work just fine for me. I install on the roof of the vehicle, so I don't have to overcome everything. Roof mount isn't for everyone, so you do you.

I've played around with gain antennas on VHF, UHF and 800MHz. In my application, I never noticed a difference between a simple quarter wave and a higher gain antenna. But that's me in my particular application.

The nice thing is that the NMO mount will let you play with different antennas easily. I'd start with your 1/4 wave and see how it does. The beauty of a 1/4 wave antenna is that it's really broad banded. It'll give you a nice low SWR across the UHF band, so no issues running the same antenna for GMRS or 70 centimeters.
If the 1/4 wave doesn't cut it, go with a higher gain antenna, or the elevated feed antenna.

prcguy

KOK5CY

Well I went ahead and got a Browning nmo 450 5/8 wave and trunk lid mount and placed it on the driver's side trunk lid about half way down the leading edge. I haven't had time to check everything but the radio shop tech cut the whip down to the GMRS band.

FKimble

3 dbi gain minus 2.14 to get dB gain doesn't leave much real gain!​

Frank sorry for large print can't make it small ???​

KOK5CY

I did make a adjustment for the ground point of the mount. Ground strap from the trunk lid bolt to just under the rear deck where the rear deck speaker is. Far as I know it made a big difference in TX and RX .

mbnv992

Living in a vally in AZ, all the repeaters are many miles away up in the mountains. I tried both 1/4 wave Laird and 5/8th wave colinear Laird antennas. The 5/8 wave won hands down, almost always hitting the repeater where the smaller 1/4 wave would not. All the AZ DPS runs 5/8th collinear UHF antennas on all their patrol cars as well. Mines the black Laird 5/8th with the spring at the base. Forgot the model number. Works great right out of the box, no need to cut it. Already tuned for 450-470. ( I called The Antenna Farm just to double check - they said you don’t need to cut it for the GMRS band since it’s already pre-tuned for it ). My SWR is just about perfect.

KOK5CY

I took a road trip yesterday and it was right around 60 Miles and I had to make an adjustment for the mount ground to the rear deck of my trunk. 4 gauge battery cable from my trunk lid mount bolt to the rear deck and it cured the the ground issue and my TX signal increased way better than I thought. I'm sticking with my Browning nmo 450 5/8 wave .