best mobile scanning antenna under $50

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

ok whats the best mobile scanning antenna I can buy for under $50? monitering mostly 800, with some old 150 stuff, a good all around antenna that wont break the bank~

also would like mag mount or lip mount, dont wanna drill no holes in the ol crown vic

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack 800 is a very good replacement... Made a significant difference over my stock... Not wonderful at 150... but 800 is stellar.

I use a combo of the RS800 and the Larsen RD9 with pretty nice results for mobile antennas...

stevolene

thanks, I actually have one of those I use on a pro 92, I was searching for a mobile antenna, I gonna drag out the old 2051 and mount it in the car

pogbobo

Paulsan said:
How flexible is the Valor. I keep hearing that it's a great antenna.

extremely ... you can bend it over sideways and it just flops back up lol ... sounds gross :eek:

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Its a great antenna most of the time mine is in the house and sits on top of a lamp in the command control center and I can receive 800 MHZ from about 35 miles out with it, and it can bend back to the mag base and pop right back up. I think I better get two more for cars.

Last edited:

af5rn

Paulsan said:
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. I need it to flex to clear the garage door.
Yeah, I used to count on the antenna flexing too. Not really a smart idea though. Sooner or later, the load catches on the door or door opener, and yanks it off your roof, destroying it, and scratching the heck out of your car. Just take it off or park outside.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
stevolene said:
well the valor antenna is on backorder at universal, anyone know who else might have this or a similiar antenna in stock?
I have both the Valor and the Workman KS-3 antenna. They seem to be the same antenna both viually and performance wise. You might look at the Workman if you don't want to wait. The price is about the same I believe.
http://www.workmanelectronics.com/itemcatalog.htm
http://www.randl.com/cgi-local/cart/cart.cgi?cart=Search&groupnumber=(1200)

Dave

daedalus

I have had two of the Valors. They work great when new but both had the mini-coax break somewhere inside the sealed bottom. They never hit the garage or anything so far as I know.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
here's another one

I've got a couple of the valor's. They work pretty good. In my quest for the "perfect" mobile antenna. I ran across these.

http://www.cellantenna.com/Antennas/magneticmount.htm

The cable is rg-58 size, they have a larger mag. base than the valor. I went with the kit with all the different styles included ($50) kit because I didn't know which one would work the best for the systems I monitor.

The one similar to the valor style (ca-12m) seems to work the best for me. I'm scanning 800 trunked and conventional 150's. The little ca04m also does surprisingly well.

You will have to replace the connector with a BNC. I couldn't find an adapter to fit the one that comes on it.

Also, I can't remember if it was on the valor or the one mentioned above (maybe both), I was able to tune the antenna for a little better performance by stretching the coils a little. I didn't have all the correct test equipment handy so, i just made due with what i had.

I put the scanner on hold on a 800mhz trunked site control channel that was far enough away to give me a lower signal strength(1-2 bars). I then played around with stretching the coils apart a little at a time until I got the most signal strength. It doesn't take much. I played around until I was able to get good signal strength balance between the 800 system and the NOAA wx channels. I chose the NOAA wx because those freq's are always transmitting and fairly close to the 150mhz band.

Status
Not open for further replies.