• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best mobile VHF antenna for a handheld in car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastLT1

I got all the adapters and a trunk NMO mount to connect an antenna to my HT1000 on vhf (frequency is155.160). Now i need an antenna, i'm not sure what to get. I don't know how to tune one and i don't have the meter thing needed. My local radio shop said they'd sell me an antenna and cut it to length for $66. Should i just go that route?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A simple quarter wave antenna will run you less than $20 and come with a cutting chart that will get you close enough. Quarter wave antennas are quite broad banded, so you don't need to be exact to get good results. You can easily cut the whip with a fine tooth hack saw, or heavy wire cutters. The allen wrench tool usually is included with the antenna.

$66 bucks is ridiculous unless they were quoting you a 5/8's wave antenna, in which case you can get the antenna for $45 and cut it yourself for free.

Any amateur radio shop will sell you a suitable antenna for a lot cheaper.

grogan

Do it yourself with-out a meter and take your chances with transmit and receive problems and burn it up guessing with a chart. or have someone set it up with proper equipment. who will show you with a meter that it is ready to go. Questionable? and olny a few bucks more. I can tell you how to change your main breaker pannel,Use a toarch to fix pluming or your Airconditioner and also save you money changeing your own breaks in your car. It all comes at a price. If you have a friend who has an SWR meter I would say buy the parts and expirment. If you want an easy install with no problems Have the shop do it.Just my two cents.

FastLT1

I just want to the shop and paid them to do it with a meter. I got a 49 inch 5/8 antenna. And the guy gave me free an better adapters than the one I got at RadioShack so I returned that and saved $13. It works and I'm happy.

mformby

All quarter wave antennas don't need to be cut and tuned. They are around 18" long. All 5/8 wave antennas have to be cut to a specific or center frequency, that tunes them. $45 is a average price and it comes with a chart so you can cut it yourself.

n5ims

All quarter wave antennas don't need to be cut and tuned. They are around 18" long. All 5/8 wave antennas have to be cut to a specific or center frequency, that tunes them. $45 is a average price and it comes with a chart so you can cut it yourself.

Funny Larsen appears to believe that their quarter wave antennas need to be tuned or they wouldn't have produced a cutting chart for them (http://12.9.181.227/download/3147/nmo_tunable_quarter_waves_03_08pdf). Now several are cut to a generic center frequency and have OK SWR over the specified frequency range. The choice is basically have them cut it (and force a shop to keep several different ones in stock) or stock one and cut them yourself to match the frequencies in use by the specific customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.