best mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

dub8

i need to know what is the best mount to get i want the hole in the roof kind i want to get the phantom antenna i got a pro-96

MB

Feed Provider
I would get an NMO mount. It is universal and you can get virtually any antenna to fit it. In my opinion it is the best permanent mount.

Chris0381

I have to second the NMO mount. It took me 5 mins to install it and it prevents a 3/4" hole in your roof that could leak at some time if not sealed properly. Putting an antenna on the roof will only gain you 2ft in height and to me is negligable cosidering you may drive up some tall hills or mountains at times.

MB

Feed Provider
Chris0381 said:
I have to second the NMO mount. It took me 5 mins to install it and it prevents a 3/4" hole in your roof that could leak at some time if not sealed properly. Putting an antenna on the roof will only gain you 2ft in height and to me is negligable cosidering you may drive up some tall hills or mountains at times.

I am not sure what you are talking about Chris0381, for an NMO permanent mount you HAVE to drill a 3/4" hole in your vehicle. I have never seen any leaking problems with this type of mount. Reception wise, this is the best way to go!

As a guidline a permanent mount in the center of the roof is the best place. It is:
+0.2dB better then a magnetic mount in the center of the roof
+2.8dB better then a trunk lip or hood lip mount
+2.1dB better then a permanent trunk mount
+2.8dB better then a trunk magnetic mount

A lot of times this makes a difference in whether you hear something or not.

MB

Feed Provider
They also make NMO magnetic, trunk lip, and hood lip mounts.

NMO is the way to go..

RISC777

More Specific Questions To Give A Better Answer Or More

dub8 said:
i need to know what is the best mount to get i want the hole in the roof kind i want to get the phantom antenna i got a pro-96

Let's fill in some gaps, okay? ... You're looking at a Phantom low profile 800 MHz setup, right?

Taking it for granted the radio/scanner you're going to connect to has a female BNC -

1. Length of cable you need? (Not the type, just the length.)

2. Have you looked to see what's between the headliner and the outside body metal above the passenger compartment? (You might need a 'thick mount' or 'vandal proof' type mount versus the typical permanent NMO/Motorola style mount due to "thickness.")

3. If you're planning on a trunk lid permanent mount, the above question does not apply, obviously. (But you did use the word 'roof.' Just wanting to make sure is all.)

4. Do you have a specific drill bit made for drilling this type hole, or do you know someone or some where you can have it done for you?

Chris0381

What I am talking about is I purchased the antenna in the link I provided and attached what I thought was a NMO L-bracket to the trunk of my car and its as clean as an installation comes. It only require 3 small holes inside the side of the trunk lip.

Actually what does NMO really mean as I may be confusing terms?

MB

Feed Provider
Chris0381 said:
What I am talking about is I purchased the antenna in the link I provided and attached what I thought was a NMO L-bracket to the trunk of my car and its as clean as an installation comes. It only require 3 small holes inside the side of the trunk lip.

Actually what does NMO really mean as I may be confusing terms?

I think you are confusing terms.

NMO stands for New MOtorola. It is the industry standard for antenna mounts.

You can buy just about any antenna in an NMO version. Once you have an NMO mount you can swap out any NMO antenna in a matter of secomds.

Chris0381

I see then my thought is that an NMO mount is just a 3/4" hole that motorola antennas mount to.

MB

Feed Provider
Chris0381 said:
I see then my thought is that an NMO mount is just a 3/4" hole that motorola antennas mount to.

Yes it is a 3/4" permanent hole mount, but NO it is not just for Motorola antennas, it is for virtually every antenna made. Just about every antenna manufacture makes NMO antennas. That is why NMO is the industry standard.

dub8

well im putting it on my bronco i dont think i would have a prob with space between the roof and headliner
i got a cuple ? to
is the Phantom low profile 800 MHz antenna the best
and what is the best cable there is or dose that come with the mount

dub8

RISC777 said:
Let's fill in some gaps, okay? ... You're looking at a Phantom low profile 800 MHz setup, right?

Taking it for granted the radio/scanner you're going to connect to has a female BNC -

1. Length of cable you need? (Not the type, just the length.)

2. Have you looked to see what's between the headliner and the outside body metal above the passenger compartment? (You might need a 'thick mount' or 'vandal proof' type mount versus the typical permanent NMO/Motorola style mount due to "thickness.")

3. If you're planning on a trunk lid permanent mount, the above question does not apply, obviously. (But you did use the word 'roof.' Just wanting to make sure is all.)

4. Do you have a specific drill bit made for drilling this type hole, or do you know someone or some where you can have it done for you?

for ? #4 can i drill it from the inside i can take the head liner down very easy
iwant to put it right above the dome light

RISC777

Hello, dub8

Mounting on a Bronco will be all around pretty easy for you, I've had a couple of them. But. If you still have the question "is the Phantom low profile 800 MHz antenna the best?" you really need to decide that first.

The easy part is mounting the antenna and running cable to where your scanner is going to be in the vehicle. What you want to monitor while driving and your choice on the antenna / antennas suited to your scenario is the most important part. Wrong choice on antenna will make how or where you mount it a moot point.

Do you see what I mean?

`Doug

RISC777

dub8 said:
the freq. mostly will be in the range of 868 mhz
Good, so what antenna fits your needs and preferences?

Antenex rates one Phantom model that fits that - tra8213p --> 821 - 896 MHz, centered on 858.5 MHz. 2.3" or so in height.

You might want to search the threads here (and maybe the wiki) for opinions and feedback on others' use and findings to help make sure it's something that will work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.