Best ohm speaker to use on a scanner, ext jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

I have a 60watt 4ohm speaker (its subwoofer from a cheap surround sound syst)

How do you know whats the best to use? or what would hurt it, or does it not matter?

I sometimes listen to my scanner loud becuase I dont sit at my desk 24/7, while im cleaning, cooking, etc....

Any suggestions or input?

KC0QNB

I wouldn't the frequency response probably would be to for you hear all the good stuff, also you need power to drive that thing scanner output not enough. Normal speaker impedance for radio gear is 8 ohms.
go to radio shack and buy an amplified external speaker, or goto Walmart or some office super store but the cheapest computer speakers with an amplifier, I use Altec-Lansing for my scanner paid about $15 for the pair
at walmart then you will need a 1/8" mono plug to 1/8"stereo jack adapter.
my altecs work good enough for me.
edit to add, What I have are Altec-Lansing model BXR1120, they is also a headphone jack and a aux input on the main (right) speaker, here is a link
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=bxr1120
a link for Staples
http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...ness_Supplies_1_10051_SC3:CG6:DP1434:CL140479

Last edited:

glide

I bought an 8 watt ,3.5 in.dual core speaker with a 5 oz.magnet and my BC95XLT would not drive it.I think I overdid it on the magnet size.Perhaps something lighter.Also,the manual says not to use a powered speaker.That might be just for my scanner tho.

Big_Ears

Your scanner specifications should list what impedence (in ohms) and wattage that your existing speaker is. You should try to keep as close to those specs for your remote speaker. Sometimes using a larger impedence speaker will work ok, but using a smaller impedence speaker may overheat your amplifier chip inside the radio. If your scanner specs don't identify your speaker specs, then you may need to open your scanner cover and look at the speaker to find it's specs. They should be printed right on the speaker. If your speaker has no specs printed, then you will need to locate your audio amplifier chip and look it up to determine it's operating parameters, in order to order the correct speaker.

glide

Oops! I've connected my 246T to my vehicle head unit all the time, with a 400 watt amp for sub. I have no intentions to stop.

I said "That may be just for my scanner "I don't know anything about yours and never said I did.Quit jumping in with stupid statements

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here we go again muddying the waters when there is a simple answer to a simple question.

Never mind ohms or watts that have nothing to do with the application. The important part is use the right speaker for the job, one made for communications applications. A high fidelity speaker is NOT suitable, just hook it up temporarily and it will answer the question you're about to ask.

FYI, subwoofers are for audiophools who believe all the BS the advertising industry feeds them. Learn something real about high fidelity before you feed the Laugh Factory.
Pet peeve mode off, Peavey mode... rock on brother, rock on.

KC0QNB

I still think all new scanners come with manuals, but I might be wrong.
Like was stated consult manual before asking here, although sometimes we do appreciate a chuckle.
Typically communications speakers have a frequency range form about 300-3000Hz, the approximate range for the human voice, your sub probably doesn't start working until 200Hz, and then at far higher power levels maybe on the order of say 50 watts, at best scanners put out 300 milli-watts, or 0.3watts.

Shortwavewave

Sorry I didnt even think to check the manual.

I besicaly wanted to know if it would "hurt" my scanner haveing it plugged in running that loud all the time.

As for subwoofers being BS, yes I know most speakers are made to a certian specification but a subwoofer is only a sub if the amp tells it to be
(for ex. 10-200hz) and a mid range is only a mid if the amp tell it to be, so on and so forth.

Im not an idiot when it comes to audio, but I never understood this whole OHM stuff, I have a Kenwood 1200watt system it calls for 6ohms, but I use 4 and never had problem and run it at full power all the time.

slicerwizard

As for subwoofers being BS, yes I know most speakers are made to a certian specification but a subwoofer is only a sub if the amp tells it to be
(for ex. 10-200hz) and a mid range is only a mid if the amp tell it to be, so on and so forth.
Regardless, it'll be a lousy scanner speaker.

Im not an idiot when it comes to audio, but I never understood this whole OHM stuff, I have a Kenwood 1200watt system it calls for 6ohms, but I use 4 and never had problem and run it at full power all the time.
Do you understand gears? If you run a car in third gear instead of using the top gear, you ain't gonna go down the highway very fast or efficiently. How about leaving a stop sign in third gear? Not very efficient either. You don't get optimum power transfers if you mismatch your power source and load.

Airdorn

I pipe my scanner through my soundcard, and the audio ultimately ends up out my component stereo's speaker system. It sounds great.

KC0QNB

I pipe my scanner through my soundcard, and the audio ultimately ends up out my component stereo's speaker system. It sounds great.
Me also then it is there to record to a hard drive, or run it through filters etc, the A-L speakers I use and mentioned earlier in this thread actually on my second sound card. simple and works.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Try Amplified speakers!

Sounds weird but they work!
Thats why I love computer shows. They sell these things at relatively cheap prices. They sound pretty good too!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.