Best P25 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTW

Ok, I've Rx. some replies to my last question Re. the Uniden 996t vs 996xt. What are the thoughts out there Re. what the best over all P25 trunking scanner is?
Thanks
Bill

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Ok, I've Rx. some replies to my last question Re. the Uniden 996t vs 996xt. What are the thoughts out there Re. what the best over all P25 trunking scanner is?
Thanks
Bill

I have owned the 396XT for about a year and the Pro-106 (same as the PSR equiv units) for over 3 years now and have used them both on several digital trunked systems and conventional P25 channels throughout the Northeast and LA and Vegas. In my opinion, the Pro-106 has much better stability and overall performance on decoding a digital signal. That doesn't mean the 396XT is a bad radio by any means. I can go all night on the features that are better on the 396XT over the 106. But you asked only about the P25, and it is an easy choice for me. To tell you the truth, the only reason why I picked up the 396XT after owning the 106 for so long is because I got sick of hearing the encryption noise. The 396XT mutes it.
Hope this helps you.
Bob

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As I always say when this type of thread gets posted:

It is like asking 100 people which is better: Coke or Pepsi?
50 are gonna say Coke, 50 are gonna say Pepsi.
Does not mean that either one is "better" or "the best".
You have to look at the features of all digital capable radios
and decide which radios offer the features you want.
We can't tell you which is the best for your area because
we don't live in your area. I own both GRE & Uniden Radios.
My Uniden BCD396XT & BCD996XT work great here (better than my GRE radios) in Central NC. But that should not matter because you don't live in Central NC.
So please disregard others opinions (most will be fanboys of either/or and tell you that x brand is better while the other x is crap) and read up on the features of all of the radios and pick the radio(s) that offer the features that matter overall to you.
Hope this helps you out!
Marshall KE4ZNR

scanchs

My Uniden BCD396XT & BCD996XT work great here (better than my GRE radios) in Central NC. But that should not matter because you don't live in Central NC.
So please disregard others opinions (most will be fanboys of either/or and tell you that x brand is better while the other x is crap) and read up on the features of all of the radios and pick the radio(s) that offer the features that matter overall to you.
Hope this helps you out!
Marshall KE4ZNR

+1

Very well put and absolutely true! :)

ScanCHS

acepilot340

Marshall said it best, people are going to be biased on brands.

What I think people should consider is waiting to purchase a digital scanner because the technology is still very new and even a commercial radios audio is VERY OFTEN unreadable.

The problem with digital is that you either get crystal clear audio or you get digitized garble. With analog you could get away with some static and still make out the transmission; but the same is not true with digital.

It's like TV's...Before they went digital you could pick up a weak station and still see the image with a little fuzz, but now with digital boxes if you tune into a station that doesn't come in PERFECT you get a 'pixelized' unwatchable image.

If you need a scanner NOW, go with the latest GRE or Uniden model because from what I see they hold their resale value for many years even if they are used.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The BEST Scanner

Thanks
Bill

I'd say HANDS DOWN the best scanner is the one you get from somebody else and you don't have to fork over the bucks.

al95

Hope this helps you out!
Marshall KE4ZNR

That was a great responds to his question.

KC9NEG

Well said, guys. For me here in Indianapolis, the Unidens work better. It all depends on where and what systems you're monitoring. There's no substitute for putting hands (and ears) an a radio under the conditions you plan to use it before making your choice.

LTW

To all that have replied so far. THANKS. I agree with Marshal 100%. I was just interested in the opinions of the rest of the folks out their. For the last 16 years I have been the Systems Manager of the locale P.S. trunked system and therefore have all the radios that I need. However I plan on retiring shortly and will have to depend on a scanner. (The last one I had was a Bear Cat 250. circa 1980 or so)

fireant

In my location, I have a difficult time picking our 800 system up. I had a PSR 500 but just sold it because it would just sit and display the talk-group however it had a difficult time decoding the system. I took it with me to my parents house and it works great. So, if you live in a area where you don't get good reception, I would not recommend the PSR 500/600 or the radio shack. I did try multiple antennas and even a outdoor as well still the same result at my location. I went with a Uniden and have no problems at all even with the stock antenna. I personally like the Uniden over the GRE radios but that's what works best for my area and me.

You will not go wrong with either radio if possible see if someone in your area has each and try them out if you can.

Good Luck

Fireant

SuperTex

I totally agree with what Marshall said. It's true you can come on this site and have "fanboys" give you their opinion either way. Some know what they are talking about and some don't, but they'll ALL certainly give you their opinion :)

I have the 996XT, the 996T and the GRE 600. If you are choosing between the 996's then absolutely go with the XT if you can handle the $$$. It is heads above the T. I think of the 996XT as a more well rounded unit than the 600 that has some really cool features. The 600 decode is excellent and the audio sounds a little more natural... to my ears anyways. But again the 600 will not bypass encrypted TG and it does lock up on something when you don't have enough signal strength to decode, so you get a lot more static transmissions. But I like them both and will not say one is better than the other, they are just different.

I'm not going to tell you to go Uniden or GRE. All my units have their place and specific jobs to do. I use the Uniden's for the Provincial Trunked radio system and I use the 600's for Conventional P25 channels. If you have the ability to get together with someone in your area that has both I would highly recommend doing that. Then buy for the features you like and the audio quality that sounds good to YOU.

W6KRU

I like my 396XT but digital decoding is not one of it's strong points. The memory layout and construction are superior but my PSR-500 has the best digital audio by far.

kitradref1

Perhaps another question to this subject would be what’s the best antenna setup, for without one, neither would work.
Which brand is more forgiving with home installations?
Not asking, just throwing the thought thread out there.
Sometimes with very knowledgeable people discussing like this, it's forgotten that less experienced folks are reading and aren't members and can't ask the peripheral questions.

thanks.

Last edited:

KI5FKE

Premium Subscriber

Hope this helps you out!
Marshall KE4ZNR

+2

I agree!!!

phask

Premium Subscriber
" is still very new a"

NEW - it's been in use over 10 years - it's already moving to 2nd generation. Ohio started in 01.

Personally - never used a GRE and happy with Uniden, but I have no Simulcast.

Regarding GRE - is there a future?

Status
Not open for further replies.