Best public safety antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Can someone please advise me of a high quality mobile antenna (NMO). For my SDS100 . I have the compatenna Scan-III now not really happy with the looks, f there is a better antenna out there that can give me the high frequency , public safety receiving capabilities please let me know.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can someone please advise me of a high quality mobile antenna (NMO). For my SDS100 . I have the compatenna Scan-III now not really happy with the looks, f there is a better antenna out there that can give me the high frequency , public safety receiving capabilities please let me know.

Some more specifics would help.

Which bands/frequencies are you interested in? It's difficult to make a "one antenna fits all" thing. I know the Compactenna's are getting some good reviews, and the Larsen NMO-150-450-800 do too. If you need VHF/UHF/7-800MHz those are probably your two best choices. If you are looking for low band, then you need to consider running two separate antennas with a diplexer. One low band antenna and one multiband antenna would be a good approach.

KO4IPV

Some more specifics would help.

Which bands/frequencies are you interested in? It's difficult to make a "one antenna fits all" thing. I know the Compactenna's are getting some good reviews, and the Larsen NMO-150-450-800 do too. If you need VHF/UHF/7-800MHz those are probably your two best choices. If you are looking for low band, then you need to consider running two separate antennas with a diplexer. One low band antenna and one multiband antenna would be a good approach.
Public safety PD FD, EMS

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Public safety PD FD, EMS

That doesn't tell me anything about band or frequency. Antennas, as I'm sure you've figured out, are frequency dependent/tuned devices, so you need one designed to cover the frequencies you want.

If any of those agencies have frequencies that fall in the 30-50MHz range, you will really benefit from an antenna designed for that specific band. With low band, it's even going to work better if you have the antenna specifically tuned to the frequency you are listening to.

If the agencies are in the 150-174, 450-512 or 700/800MHz bands, then the Larsen would be a good choice.

KO4IPV

That doesn't tell me anything about band or frequency. Antennas, as I'm sure you've figured out, are frequency dependent/tuned devices, so you need one designed to cover the frequencies you want.

If any of those agencies have frequencies that fall in the 30-50MHz range, you will really benefit from an antenna designed for that specific band. With low band, it's even going to work better if you have the antenna specifically tuned to the frequency you are listening to.

If the agencies are in the 150-174, 450-512 or 700/800MHz bands, then the Larsen would be a good choice.
Yes the Larson would be my choice since the frequencies I’m going to monitor the 150 through 800 MHZ, just curious just went to order the antenna and it doesn’t tell me what type of adapter is on the end of the coax waiting for a reply from them to find out do you happen to know what the standard adapter is for that type of antenna the Larson ?

KO4IPV

Yes the Larson would be my choice since the frequencies I’m going to monitor the 150 through 800 MHZ, just curious just went to order the antenna and it doesn’t tell me what type of adapter is on the end of the coax waiting for a reply from them to find out do you happen to know what the standard adapter is for that type of antenna the Larson ?
I am so sorry for the loss of clear thinking there please disregard my last question,

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Usually the connectors ship "loose". It's much easier to route the coaxial cable if it doesn't have the connector already installed on the end. Then you just cut the cable to the length you need and install the connector.

You can order them with the connectors already installed, but it's not as popular.

There is also the option to get the FME style connectors on the end. FME is a small diameter connector that was intended to ease installation and you just screw on an adapter with the end you need for the radio.

The ideal way to do it is to order without the connector installed, install the whole thing, trim the cable to length, and install the correct connector to match your radio.

KO4IPV

I am sorry my question did not make sense , I do know this antenna does not come with a coax cable , just a slight error in my thinking I apologize

Hit_Factor

The O-ring and brass adapter are upside down. That o-ring is for sealing the hole, so water doesn't enter the vehicle. The following picture is correct.

I don't know what NMO stands for, but it's pretty much the standard mount for vehicle antennas where a hole is drilled through the metal for the antenna mount.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know what NMO stands for,

Rumor is it stood for "New MOtorola". Motorola adopted these style mounts back in the late 70's or so.
If it was a "Motorola" name, they would have copyrighted the crap out of it and sued the pants off anyone who used it (or made illegal copies of it).

I ran across a website a few weeks ago that was trying to claim it stood for "Non-Magnetic Option". Not sure which rocket scientist came up with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.