Best radio for little rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just moved downtown and would like to hear police and fire department communications. Can anyone make a recommendation? I would like to stay under $300 if possible, thanks in advance.

13riverking

Just moved downtown and would like to hear police and fire department communications. Can anyone make a recommendation? I would like to stay under $300 if possible, thanks in advance.

Looks like Little Rock, North Little Rock, and Jacksonville are all analog trunked, motorolla type 2 and 3, I would go with something that supports rebanding, I would look under the wikki link on this page, Personally I went with a pro 107, because my older scanners didnt support rebanding, and it is the easiest scanner ive ever programed

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Currently all you need is ANY trunktracking scanner to follow the Motorola Type II analog system that ALL Pulaski Co. Public Safety uses. They are planning to upgrade soon to an all digital system, but are still analog now. ASP is on the AWIN digital system, and to hear them you will need an digital capable scanner.Most of the more recent Trunking Scanners are under $300.00 with only the newest bumping that or higher. For an digital if you want one, you can get the Radios Shack PRO-96 and its big brother the PRO-2096 on ebay for $250.00 or less. The newer genteration such as the PRO-106, PSR 500 and such will run you over $400.00 at the cheapest to nearly $600.00 at the most expensive.

For just LRPD, LRFD, NLRPD/FD, PCSO etc... Youll spend around $150.00 to $200.00 to just hear them, and up to around $300.00 to use the newest toys to hear em.

artaldridge

Premium Subscriber
Digital can receive Analog

So I assume a digital trucking receiver can do both analog and digital?

focusedone

New to scanning/rebanding

I live in downtown Little Rock and found myself hooked to the online scanner feeds around here. It's only served to whet my appetite for scanning and it'll soon be time to buy my first scanner. I've read the FAQ's and understand that Pulaski County is in the process of rebanding but I still don't understand if a digital scanner is necessary around here or if analogue will do.

The systems to listen to are Motorola Type IIi Hybrid for Little Rock Public Safety and Project 25 Phase I (FDMA) for the AWIN. I think the AWIN is a digital system, but I'm not clear on the Public Safety. As I'm new to this, I'd prefer to stay as cheap as possible with this first scanner; is a digital scanner necessary in this area (or will it be in the near future)?

I'd also be interested in listening in on HAM and CB transmissions, but I understand what to look for as far as frequency capabilities with the scanner for that.

One last thing, I've read that it may be possible to listen in to the ISS when it's briefly overhead...has anyone in this area had luck with this?

Thank you all for your time. I'm looking forward to learning about listening and digging in to a new hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.