Best radio to monitor WSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
Looking for recommendations on the best radio to monitor WSP. I have a HP-1 and HP-2. Not very happy with the audio, very choppy. My main interest is WSP and OSP. Thank you.

RBMTS

Unfortunately that is a characteristic of digital comms. The audio can be choppy as the radio needs a good RF signal to properly receive the digital data stream to decode it. The audio is either there or it isn't. RF signal fade causes a loss in the packet data stream and that is when you lose the audio. Any of the scanners are prone to this so one is not necessarily going to be better than another when it comes to how well you can receive a digital RF frequency. You'd have better luck trying different antennas or such that can help you receive better.

Commercial radios will receive better but they are band specific and will cost much more than a scanner. So I'd suggest trying to boost the receive signal of whatever you are trying to listen to. In a home / building - try to put the radio closer to a window. Perhaps look at a simple outside antenna. In a mobile, try to put the antenna on the roof or cab of the vehicle. A gain antenna for the band you want to receive can be a big asset (in some circumstances). It will be a "trial by failure" journey.

im800mhz

Looking for recommendations on the best radio to monitor WSP. I have a HP-1 and HP-2. Not very happy with the audio, very choppy. My main interest is WSP and OSP. Thank you.

APX8000.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

What is your antenna setup like? You need good reception to hear digital.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information. I may just end up getting a VHF P25 radio set up for WSP, OSP and 2 meter.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I use a unication G5, for all my WSP channels. Works like a charm, excellent decoding, no external antennas whatsoever, in the car or in the house.
You would want the 800/VHF unit which right now can be had at several dealers for around the $650 figure.
I used code3 supply out of Albuquerque and they are great to work with. I know they're a little more money, but if you take off all of the expenses for antennas, coax, and pieces and parts, not to mention the countless hours it'll take you to try to get a scanner to work, I think the 650 puts a guy money ahead as this thing is phenomenal right out of the box. A bit of a learning curve to program it but no different then the scatter programs. Also bear in mind that the p25 phase2 firmware upgrade is still a couple months out.

jparks29

John McClane
Thanks for the information. I may just end up getting a VHF P25 radio set up for WSP, OSP and 2 meter.

XTS5000's are coming down in price pretty damn quick.

Last VHF one I pointed out to a friend was ~$400 for a model 3.....He bought it...

I bought a 700/800 XTS5K M3 for less than $300...

Dann

Premium Subscriber
The G5 sounds like it might work for me. looking for the best deal on one. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.