• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best radio under $150 semi mobile application

WRWG621

Hello folks I’ve been hooked by the gmrs craze and am looking for a new radio. Currently have the Tenway GM-55 and want something with a little more thump. I travel between two repeaters near daily and definitely would like to have access to both repeaters at either location, as I know it is possible with a better setup. I’m looking at the Radioddity line db-20 and fb-25 as well as the Anytone At-778uv. I want a radio for my desires of tomorrow and may get into ham, so I want something capable of various frequencies. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
More power won't necessarily fix the issue. That will only impact your ability to transmit into the repeater. If you want better coverage, focus on the antenna and antenna installation. Simply pumping more power into a compromised antenna installation won't fix much.

Kenwood TK-8180 is one of the better options out there right now, and can be had fairly inexpensively on the used market. Plus, if you get the right model, they actually have the required FCC Part 95 grant to make it legal on GMRS.

pjespers

I am a new DB20-G owner. It came with a programming cable and the software is a free download. A very nice little radio for GMRS. And with the touch of a button, it can be 're-purposed' into a full VHF/UHF ham radio.