Best Replacement Antenna BC-396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdakabob

What is the best replacement antenna to replace the stock antenna on the BC-396T? Looking for overall performance increase over entire frequency range. Also, how many db's are actually lost if using a BNC antenna using the adapter to the SMA connector. Thanks...

Dubbin

Feed Provider
IMO the radio shack 800 is the best all around antenna you will find. As far as your other question goes, not enough for you to notice.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
1) I read there was no/minimal loss using the adapter.. not sure if thats true or not

2) The RS 800 is great for pretty much 400+
Although for fleetnet 140MHZ area its not that good (its not meant to be).

So maybe the best overall antenna would be an extendable one.
I agree with LordJ it depends what u listen to

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
For me Stock/RS-800Mhz NO diff. at all..... ... .. .

For me, just the opposite. RS800 kills the Stock here in Dallas/Fort Worth area (at least for me). But as mentioned...it's mainly a 400+ antenna. Lower than that, it's not a terribly useful replacement.

Viper43

RS 800MHz, got 5 of em and they all kick butt over the stock stuff. I have no problem pulling in VHF 155's and so on from 40+ miles with it :) It's the only portable antenna I will use..... Uniden shouldn't bother with the stock antenna

V

bwilborn

I'd have to also say that the RS 800 gets much better reception on higher frequencies. It doesn't do *too bad* in the 140-160 range, but it could do better in my area (Denver).

-- B

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
RS800MHz antenna is the best that I have used for multi-purpose. Now if it only came in SMA...

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Diamond and I believe it is Comet both have an SMA multiband antenna. I have used both and they are about equal.

The Diamond is the SRH815 (they also have a dual band, the SRH 519). The 815 is about 6 inches (maybe a bit less) long and is a very slender whip. It may not be quite as good overall as the RS 800, but it has served me well over the past year or so.

If you want to keep the compactness of the 396, then the 519 is really a good choice. If you look closely at the 396 in the photo, I have the 519 attached. You cannot see the entire antenna, but you can at least get the general idea.

The 396 with the 519 antenna is only an inch or so larger than the PRO 96 without an antenna.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
The Comet SMA-3 is a very good antenna for VHF, 800 & UHF. Not great on UHF-T though.

I agree on the SMA-3, although it's a bit longer than most people would like on a handheld. I've found it works just as good on 800 as the RS800, but does much better on lower frequencies, especially VHF. Since I pretty much only listen to 800 with the 396, I went back to the RS800 and put the SMA-3 on my VX-170. It pulls in repeaters from 50+ miles away with no problem. If you want to listen to a wide range of frequencies with your 396, I'd definitely recommend the SMA-3.

CStarr59

I just ordered a Comet MH-255 active hunter antenna? I've heard great things about this antenna and it is very compact and works super in the lower and mid frequencies. It's going on my pro-137. A friend of mine has one and I was very impressed with it's performance when I played with it for a bit. It's only 3 1/2" tall and fits the profile of the 396, 330, 137 nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.