Best Scanner antenna hands down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyd1018

Ok, im going to ask question that im sure that has been asked a million times, so i guess one more should not hurt! Im getting back into the hobby again and am putting in line a uniden bcd996xt as a base... so my question is what is the best base antenna hands down when it comes to pulling in signals, made, and has a very broadband? Antenna will be about 60 feet in the air and i live in natchez, Ms and we are about 300 feet above sea level as it is! I only buy the best and was wondering what is the envey of all scanner antennas!!! was looking at the Austin Ferret, but need everyones help!!

n5ims

This has been asked and answered many times. The answer is always "There is no BEST antenna." Just like there is no best coax or best scanner or best tower. "Best" is very subjective and must take in many factors to help guess what may work best in your situation. The best system for lowband VHF will probably not work best for 800 MHz. The best system in an area with few high power signals may work poorly in an area with many high power signals.

If you could provide specifics on what you're trying to monitor (bands, systems, etc.) as well as what you plan to spend folks here can help provide some good suggestions. Please note you will get conflicting answers since what works best for me may work poorly for someone else.

bobbyd1018

Well, im planning on listening to 10/11 meter, 2 meter ham, trunking, and police and state troopers in my area, im not sure what freq thay use since i dont have any kind of guide

mrkelso

The Best Scanner Antenna hands down is the one that works for you.

bobbyd1018

looks like the range for me is going to be between 44.000 to about 460.000! , i know thats not given you alot of info, but i will be listening to a little of everything

kd8jhc

The best antenna I've used for scanning out 800 MHz digital system is a 3 element Yagi that I made out of a piece of scrap wood and pieces of coat hangers. Works better than the stock rubber duck on my pro-106, as well as better than the Radio Shack 800 MHz duck. Google for "800 yagi" - easy to make - works great.

knightrider

The Best Scanner Antenna hands down is the one that works for you.

Hey!!! That's the EXACT antenna I have!!!!!!!! Actually, this is the correct answer. I am interested in listening in an area of approximately 40 miles around me. I have three different antennas I have built (as have been discussed in other threads here), and depending on what I want to listen to, determines the antenna I use. I do have one R.S. 1/4 "dual band" groundplane that is used mostly as a general purpose antenna. But, it can sometimes be too much. I am also a Ham, so I have different antennas for the various bands and modes, and again it is the antenna that works best for the conditions. On 2m, I have a J-pole at about 30' on a push up mast. I also have two 4 element beams at 40 and 50 feet on the tower vertical, and an 11 element beam horizontal at 45'. On the very top, is a Ringo Ranger for 2m. I use dipoles for HF, and SWL. I have a RIngo Ranger for 6m and 10m, as well as a 3 element beam for each. Read the reviews, the advertisements, and decide what you want to listen to. It is not wrong as far as I am concerned, to ask for suggestions, or personal preferences though.
Knightrider

ke4wkp

I would say a Discone is the best for all around scanning antenna. It will not work as well on 10/11 m bands though

Status
Not open for further replies.