Best scanner available for SAFE T scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidvb11

Please forgive me for I am newbe to this site, and to the whole trunking scanning. I have been scanning for years with my Pro-51, but I want to update to a new scanner to listen to the Hooser SAFE T system, and be worth having in the future after rebanding. Could anyone recommend a good scanner (base and mobile) for what I want. Would also like to have one with the options of PL decoding, and two-tone / long tone (selective call) decoding. Also was wondering if there is a scanner available that is updatable with a computer as things change in the future. Am I asking for too much?

Thank you all for your help.

DG

Last edited:

Go-24

You might also want to look into the Radio Shack Pro-96 and the Pro-2096 - I think they are the competition to Unidens 396 + 996

GTO_04

Pro-96 has less machine gunning on SAFE-T. I don't consider the machine gunning a major problem with the Unidens, but a minor annoyance. I have a 396 and have not heard the 996 yet.

The new Unidens will handle rebanding more easily than the RS scanners. And Uniden is very good about providing firmware upgrades to fix any issues that pop up. If the rebanding is an important issue along with upgrades the Unidens may be the best choice for you.

I also like the dynamic memory of the Uniden (no banks). It is a much more efficient use of memory and easier to organize the systems you monitor.

GTO_04

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
You might also want to look into the Radio Shack Pro-96 and the Pro-2096 - I think they are the competition to Unidens 396 + 996

No, those are RS's matchup with the 796. 396/996 are totally different...

retroactiv

I have a Pro-96 with the 800mhz whip... You couldn't ask for a better scanner for Safe-T. I carry it while I'm on the job also, with the ammount of traveling that I do with this thing and I'm able to pick up distant towers with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.