Best scanner for a rural area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

Keith,

My guess is there is a defect in your discone, connectors, grounding, or cable.

Since you reworked the cable, without much change. The discone is next. Tram isn't known for quality, perhaps it has failed up there in the elements.

If you lack the test equipment necessary to evaluate your antenna, it might be time to replace it.

Last edited:

GTO_04

Keith,

My guess is there is a defect in your discone, connectors, or cable.

Since you reworked the cable, without much change. The discone is next. Tram isn't known for quality, perhaps it has failed up there in the elements.

If you lack the test equipment necessary to evaluate your antenna, it might be time to replace it.

And a discone is probably not your best option for 800 MHz reception.

GTO_04

Bob1955

Is the Home Patrol 2 as sensitive as a 996P2, or a 536? Probably not. The SDS100 is the most sensitive scanner I have seen on 800MHz, and I would think the SDS200 would do just as well. But it is best to check out the coax and antenna first like the other posters have said.

GTO_04
I'm not sure of what your reporting. The SDS100 is the MOST problem handheld in the lineup. The BCD-996P2/BCD-325P2 is a winner and problem free and great sensitivity even with the supplied antenna on the base version. I have been into this hobby since 1973 and know what I am talking about!!

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
And a discone is probably not your best option for 800 MHz reception.

GTO_04
What would you suggest. My problem is that the three counties I listen to, have law traffic on the P25 800 trunk system and most of their fire and ems dispatch on VHF 155MHz range. Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Jon, what are you disagreeing with?
This:
I'm not sure of what your reporting. The SDS100 is the MOST problem handheld in the lineup.
Who was disagreeing with...
Is the Home Patrol 2 as sensitive as a 996P2, or a 536? Probably not. The SDS100 is the most sensitive scanner I have seen on 800MHz, and I would think the SDS200 would do just as well.
As stated elsewhere, I own the 436, 536, SDS100, and SDS200, and have done numerous hands-on comparisons between my scanners and multiple samples of the HomePatrol 1 and 2, 436, SDS100, etc.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say the SDS100 is significantly more sensitive on 800MHz than other models (IMO its performance benefits are mostly due to its ability to decode simulcast properly, rather than sensitivity), it keeps up with the others across the bands, at least when all units being tested are connected to the same antenna and getting fed the same signal.

I would agree that the HomePatrol receiver isn't quite as good as those in the x36 and SDS models. The HomePatrols miss slightly more non-simulcast weak signal traffic than the others, and are really terrible in simulcast areas. In a moderately bad simulcast area where the x36 units miss about 25% of traffic, the HomePatrols miss 50% or more, compared to the SDS models.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What would you suggest. My problem is that the three counties I listen to, have law traffic on the P25 800 trunk system and most of their fire and ems dispatch on VHF 155MHz range.
The only thing that will beat a discone for that situation is multiple antennas and a diplexer. An outdoor discone shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with an indoor rubber duck. I'm using the Tram 1410 discone indoors, and getting good reception on 800MHz.

Hit_Factor

What would you suggest. My problem is that the three counties I listen to, have law traffic on the P25 800 trunk system and most of their fire and ems dispatch on VHF 155MHz range. Thanks
Get a Comet or Diamond discone. Diamond D130NJ is my first choice. It uses n connectors, this will minimize 800MHz losses.

Discone may have an extra whip on top to help with high frequency (mostly amateur radio) if that interest you.

Bob1955

What is the best indoor antenna for 25-1,200 Mhz receive that can sit by my window and who sells it? I don't want a tripod mounted to it.
If this is the wrong thread, please have the it moved.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
I am rural Whitley county and have NO problems with state, local with a whistler 1065. I currently have 4 1065's in various rooms.
I am VERY familiar with your area I am in Springersville cemetery allot.( Family plots ) We are from C.ville
Try here : Scratch & Dent I don't use a discone myself I like build my own J-Poles and Dipoles for what I listen to.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What is the best indoor antenna for 25-1,200 Mhz receive that can sit by my window and who sells it? I don't want a tripod mounted to it.
If this is the wrong thread, please have the it moved.
The only thing that would come close to doing that would be a full-size discone with a vertical element on top tuned to the low band stuff. Basically this setup, but with the stand at its lowest position to make room for the vertical element on top of the discone.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
I am rural Whitley county and have NO problems with state, local with a whistler 1065. I currently have 4 1065's in various rooms.
I am VERY familiar with your area I am in Springersville cemetery allot.( Family plots ) We are from C.ville
Try here : Scratch & Dent I don't use a discone myself I like build my own J-Poles and Dipoles for what I listen to.
I wonder if the Tram discone antenna i have is junk. It works fine some days and some days not so much. I cant hear anything in Franklin County tonight. So frustrating

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I wonder if the Tram discone antenna i have is junk. It works fine some days and some days not so much. I cant hear anything in Franklin County tonight. So frustrating
Assuming it's mounted outside, what did you use to waterproof the coax connections? The most common cause of intermittent antenna problems is water getting into the coax.

Trams are not top of the line, but they do work if all the connections are set up and sealed correctly. The setup linked in my previous post uses a Tram 1410 discone.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
Assuming it's mounted outside, what did you use to waterproof the coax connections? The most common cause of intermittent antenna problems is water getting into the coax.

Trams are not top of the line, but they do work if all the connections are set up and sealed correctly. The setup linked in my previous post uses a Tram 1410 discone.
the only connection is at the antenna. The way it is made is it is inside the antenna base and then sits down on a hollow pipe. The other end is in the house. The coax is 50 foot of rg8.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You still need to waterproof the connection inside the pipe because of condensation. If you don't moisture will build up and cause corrosion, and degrade the performance of the coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.