Best Scanner For About 30 Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo613

Hello, I need a good helpful review that is clear. Im looking for a scanner that is in my price range up to $175. I live in Lake County, IL and listen to Mundelein,Libertyville,Grayslake,Vernon Hills,Lake Zurich,Barrington, And Gurnee FD's to name just a few. Also I want a scanner that can listen to Buffalo Grove & Lake County Sheriffs. Lastly I need to know with the best type of scanner, please tell me an upgraded antenna. Right now I have a Pro 404 with an Austin Condor All-Band Portable BNC Antenna. I will be scanning in my house if that makes a difference. Thanks Sam.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The Scanner/Receiver Eqp Review forum is not a forum to make requests for reviews. Please review Stickies before you post to a forum. Thanks.

Thread moved.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Im looking for a scanner that is in my price range up to $175...Also I want a scanner that can listen to Buffalo Grove.

BG is on the Northwest Central Astro system, which requires a digital scanner, which is going to cost more than $175, unless you could find a deal on EBay or somewhere else.

Personally, I'd recommend the Pro-197 (base)/Pro-106 (portable), it decodes the NWCD Astro system just fine and will track the EDACS system the Lake County Sheriff uses. Radio Shack occasionally puts them on sale for ~$300, that's about the closest you'll get to your target of $175 if you want to hear Buffalo Grove. If you just want to focus on Lake County, I'd go with the analog-trunking Pro-163 (base)/Pro-164 (portable).

Status
Not open for further replies.