Best scanner for around $150 or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squale

I am looking for a really good scanner for mainly VHF airbands and also would like local police/fire/emergency. I really don't care much about Trunked systems since I don't know how to use them and I don't think they are in use in my area.

These are my town's frequencies so I DON'T think anything is trunked right? Trunking starts at 800Mhz and above right?

Vernon, NJ
Frequency Input License Type Tone Description Mode
46.10000 WNUK822 BM 131.8 PL Fire Dispatch FM
47.50000 KLO302 BM 77.0 PL EMS Dispatch FM
478.56250 481.56250 WPMW669 RM 156.7 PL Police Dispatch FM

So right now I am just considering going with either the Radio Shack Pro 95 (http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...me=CTLG_008_009_010_003&product_id=20-525)

or the Radio Shack Pro 82 (http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...me=CTLG_008_009_010_005&product_id=20-315)

Probably leaning more towards the Pro-95 because of the Alpha Text you can enter which is nice for memory purposes..

but are their other BETTER scanners with better reception sensitiviy and features in this same price range?

Thanks

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I think the Pro-95 is your best bet, on closeout for about $130 at Radio Shack. It is a little older, and will not do CTCSS tones, but will probably do what you need for the right price.

The other to consider, while a bit more, is the Uniden BC246T for a little over $200. It will do CTCSS tones and also has alpha tags and trunking.

Here is the Radio Reference page for Sussex County, NJ:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=1789

Looks like there's at least some trunked activity on the NJSP system in your area. The Vernon town frequencies you listed are not going to be trunked -- they are just plain old conventional frequencies. Assuming the database is up-to-date, that is.

Also, it looks like the Sussex County Sheriff is using APCO-25, which means neither the Pro-95 or the BC246T will pick that up. You'd need a scanner with APCO-25 capability (around $400-500).

Hope this helps!

squale

okay some more questions..

1.) what is CTCSS and what do they do for you?

2.) what is the difference between Trunked and Digital? I thought they were the same thing...? how many types of trunked systems are there cause I seem some scanners say Trunk tracker II, some Trunk Tracker III, etc.

3.) what frequency ranges do Trunking and Digital come through on? how do you know which is which?

4.) How long as the Pro-95 been out for? is it discountinued now? is the Pro-83 better than the 95?

5.) how is the signal reception strength of the Pro-95 compared to some Uniden models?

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

mciupa

squale said:
okay some more questions..
1.) what is CTCSS and what do they do for you?

Let's look at that Fire freq. for Vernon, NJ . It's on 46.100 mHz, but then
there are many fire agencies using that freq. When you add the CTCSS
tone of 131.8 Hz, you will only receive the Vernon agency on that freq.
and not some unwanted place because you have selected a private
tone.
2.) what is the difference between Trunked and Digital? I thought they were the same thing...? how many types of trunked systems are there cause I seem some scanners say Trunk tracker II, some Trunk Tracker III, etc.
Look at the Wiki area of this site, there are some exquisite explanations
of many scanning topics. For Trunking, check this link and click on the info.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/wiki/index.php?title=Trunking
3.) what frequency ranges do Trunking and Digital come through on? how do you know which is which?
VHF-HI band,UHF-LO band, 800 mHz , 900 mHz . You can not de-cipher digital modulation without a scanner that is capable of doing so.
4.) How long as the Pro-95 been out for? is it discountinued now? is the Pro-83 better than the 95?
This is a guess on my part, 1999 , I think. Not up on Pro-83, not sure
what it does.

5.) how is the signal reception strength of the Pro-95 compared to some Uniden models?
Some say Uniden edges out Radio Shack.

whooey

Great post mciupa, I like to see people helping out people like me who have no idea what the HELL were doing!!!! :twisted: :lol:

bsavery

whooey said:
Great post mciupa, I like to see people helping out people like me who have no idea what the HELL were doing!!!! :twisted: :lol:

And here I was begininng to think it was manditory to blast people asking questions like that for not having searched the 4 corners of the internet for the answer on their own!

:roll:

Bob

mciupa

Voyager said:
mciupa said:
You can not de-cipher digital modulation without a scanner that is capable of doing so.

Actually, the correct term is decode.

Joe M.

Thanks, Voyager . I stand corrected. :oops:

Best to weed-out mis-information ASAP. :)

whooey said:
... I like to see people helping out people

That's what it is all about...
I'd rather give a person a hand up rather than a boot down :D

Status
Not open for further replies.