Best scanner for Bonner County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midd1994

Can anyone recommend good scanners to cover Bonner County frequencies (police, fire, EMS)?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=555

We had a severe thunder/windstorm last night, and I could smell smoke in the air, but neither the local radio station or the Spokane TV stations were carrying any information for my area. I'd like to find something that'll keep me informed about local events!

Midd1994

I'm really just trying to figure out the best scanner to handle the different radio systems represented up here. It's rural enough that I'm sure signal strength varies significantly across the area.

Also, while I'd like to avoid breaking the bank, I will pay for a more expensive unit if that's what is required! Would prefer handheld, unless a similar plug-in unit is significantly cheaper.

Tidalwave

I have not been up to the Sandpoint area in over a year and at that time the SO was analog, but the RR database shows the county SO to be digital now. Asside from that, the state system that is slowly being put in will be 700mhz digital. IF you can afford it, I would spring for a digital scanner. Better to pay a little more now for one that will last instead of buying one now, then being forced to get a digital later. So hand held I'd go with a psr500 or bc396. I have both and they both have pro's and cons. Just my 2 cents.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Can anyone recommend good scanners to cover Bonner County frequencies (police, fire, EMS)?

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=555

We had a severe thunder/windstorm last night, and I could smell smoke in the air, but neither the local radio station or the Spokane TV stations were carrying any information for my area. I'd like to find something that'll keep me informed about local events!
Buy a digital. You'll need it eventually. Handheld or base/mobile cost the same. Buy GRE or Uniden, although Uniden may be out with a new/updated handheld in the next several months. If you can't wait for the new Uniden buy a GRE PSR-500 if you want a handheld. Radio Shack has no digital scanners yet, but may have a version of the GRE PSR-500 in the future.

Take a look at the scanner specific forums on this site.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.