Best Scanner For Broward County

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeJay023

Premium Subscriber
Hi I'm new to the forums and I've been listening to the radio feeds on the site and they've been great so far, but i wanted a more personalized experience. I live in the Sunrise/Plantation area of Broward County, and I wanted to purchase a scanner to listen in on the Sunrise Police Department and also the Broward County Sheriff's Office scanner audio. I kind of did some research beforehand, and found out that all of Broward County uses a trunked system, that's about all I got to. I was wondering if any one on this site could help me or point me out into the right direction of a great scanner, if this is of any help I was thinking about purchasing a Base/Mobile scanner. Thanks-In advance.

shadcall

First off, welcome to Radio Reference.

I would recommend the Radio Shack Pro 197. It's a digital scanner and works great. Get ARC 500 to program it, a premium membership to Radio Reference and a programming cable from Radio Shack and you will be all set. As of now I see Broward County, Plantation and Sunrise are analog, but these days it makes more sense to get a digital scanner so you are prepared for any future changes. I did notice that Hollywood is digital and the 197 will pick that up. If you decide to get a handheld instead the Pro 106 is the same scanner. If you check the ads they are on sale from time to time.

TeeJay023

Premium Subscriber
First off, welcome to Radio Reference.

I would recommend the Radio Shack Pro 197. It's a digital scanner and works great. Get ARC 500 to program it, a premium membership to Radio Reference and a programming cable from Radio Shack and you will be all set. As of now I see Broward County, Plantation and Sunrise are analog, but these days it makes more sense to get a digital scanner so you are prepared for any future changes. I did notice that Hollywood is digital and the 197 will pick that up. If you decide to get a handheld instead the Pro 106 is the same scanner. If you check the ads they are on sale from time to time.

I took a look at the scanner online, and I noticed it was really on the high end of the price range, I was hoping are there any that are less? Thanks.

T-rav

Premium Subscriber
If you purchase a PRO-164 from radio shack that is $149 right now you can listen to all law enforcement and fire in Broward county, with the exception of the city of Hollywood which is digital and would require a digital scanner such as the PRO 106. To my knowledge there are no plans as of yet to switch to digital soon, however Miami-Dade county is going digital sometime 2013.

Since your inquiring about a base scanner, the PRO-163 would be a good choice, but a base scanner very limiting and you should consider the portability of a handheld scanner.

My recommendation would be to go to radioshack and pick up a PRO-164, if necessary get a programming cable and a 9 volt plug to power your scanner. This way you are portable and are not wasting batteries if you decide to just use it as a base scanner.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and enjoy listening to all coms in Broward.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Re: Broward County

I took a look at the scanner online, and I noticed it was really on the high end of the price range, I was hoping are there any that are less? Thanks.

I live in Hallandale Beach, just about due east of you, and I just got a Uniden scanner so I have a Pro-164 for sale if ya want it. I currently have it up on eBay and the Classifieds here and am asking around $150 for it but that was assuming I would have to ship it to the buyer. I have a wall charger for it, I'll throw in a set of rechargeables too, including the programming cable and software, an extra antenna, AND even the Broward County database file pre-loaded into the scanner including Sunrise! ;) Lemme know. If u wanna take a look at it here it is: Pro-164 Triple-Trunking TrunkTracker 3 Handheld, pretty new!! - RadioReference Classifieds Lemme know what u think or gimme a good offer. All the stuff I'm including is over $300 retail...

lindsay34654

Do not get me wrong but I have noticed, with all the departments upgrading to digital and such why would anyone want anything less then a top of the line scanner. This way when the day comes you are already there. Ok I understand it is a couple of pennies more but having to by a new scanner every time someone in your area upgrades is a lot more expensive in the long run.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Do not get me wrong but I have noticed, with all the departments upgrading to digital and such why would anyone want anything less then a top of the line scanner. This way when the day comes you are already there. Ok I understand it is a couple of pennies more but having to by a new scanner every time someone in your area upgrades is a lot more expensive in the long run.

A couple of pennies more?? LOL There's a HUGE difference between $150-$200 and $400-$500, as most the digitals are around $400 and up... That's twice the amount... I'd say that's significantly more than a couple pennies... Just sayin :) And besides departments down here aren't going to digital for a few years at least, plenty of time to save up for a digital scanner when the time comes, plus I'm sure there will be some more digital scanners available to buy then that are reasonably priced...

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Broward county

You do not need a digital scanner for Broward County or Sunrise.
I recommend either a BCT15X base or a BC346T hand held.
Both run around $200.

Jan Fine
owner of SEFLORIDA group
Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities

Hi I'm new to the forums and I've been listening to the radio feeds on the site and they've been great so far, but i wanted a more personalized experience. I live in the Sunrise/Plantation area of Broward County, and I wanted to purchase a scanner to listen in on the Sunrise Police Department and also the Broward County Sheriff's Office scanner audio. I kind of did some research beforehand, and found out that all of Broward County uses a trunked system, that's about all I got to. I was wondering if any one on this site could help me or point me out into the right direction of a great scanner, if this is of any help I was thinking about purchasing a Base/Mobile scanner. Thanks-In advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.