Best Scanner For My Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I would like to hear from some local folks in my area, primarily Greene County (Fairborn) and secondary Montgomery County (Dayton) and your opinion on what is the best scanner to buy to listen to what I am interested in - Police, Fire, Milair, ham radio repeaters, local business/utilities and whatever dmr might be available. I am about to pull the trigger on a $500 gift card and want one desktop scanner that will be the best for my location and intended monitoring frequencies. Thanks!

73s

JD
kf4anc

Ps: I obviously need phase 2, and the models I am considering are bc996, bc536, trx-2, or?

lindsay34654

Best scanner?

I would like to hear from some local folks in my area, primarily Greene County (Fairborn) and secondary Montgomery County (Dayton) and your opinion on what is the best scanner to buy to listen to what I am interested in - Police, Fire, Milair, ham radio repeaters, local business/utilities and whatever dmr might be available. I am about to pull the trigger on a $500 gift card and want one desktop scanner that will be the best for my location and intended monitoring frequencies. Thanks!

73s

JD
kf4anc

Ps: I obviously need phase 2, and the models I am considering are bc996, bc536, trx-2, or?

Not to pick on you but this is a hobby and the best way to get into a hobby and get enjoyment out of it is to search the internet ( RR) and see what is around your area the research the different radios and check out the reviews to see what others think about the models. it may take sometime to get the answer that you are looking for and you also get a good education about what scanners are about. Asking online all you are going to get what others prefer. do your own research and take the time. you might ask someone about a scanner and just because that person likes that model does not mean you would. Go for the ,most up to date one that way as time goes on your scanner should still should be ok. It took me a month of hunting fro a good price on a BCD 536 and I found on for $370 and it was only a month old and was sent the original receipt. my BCD 436 I paid $340. to the research look around it is more fun when you research your self

Nasby

73s

JD
kf4anc

You really DON'T need Phase 2. This may help you in your decision and save you some cash.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Re:

Yes, thanks, I've done my research, which is how I decided on the digital choices I mentioned, now I am merely wanting 'opinions' from locals on what scanner they deem most suited for our local needs.

Nasby, I thought my area was MARCS Phase 2 digital? Did I miss something here?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Ahh, ok, apparently my so-called research missed that. Well, I am tempted to continue with this feature in mind just to have that option if need be. Thanks much on that.

fyrfyter33

There's way too much older Motorola gear out there for the state to jump to Phase 2 and they don't have capacity problems. If they did got to phase 2, any radio older than an APX wouldn't work, and there's still tons of XTS & Spectra+ radios still in use across the state.

The state doesn't have the money to replace every radio. I can tell you this, my jurisdiction is looking at an expenditure in excess of $250k, to eventually replace all those older model radios. We got some of them accomplished after the RNC, but for many places that's the equivalent of a new vehicle or two.

Phase 2 will likely come eventually, just not anytime soon.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Tailgator911 - I live in Fairborn and own most of the scanners out there. I do not own the TRX-2 ....

I have found the 996XT does not do well on the MARCS-IP ... only gets about 25% of transmissions. I have tried on stock antenna, Discone antenna, Yagi Antenna.

536 - probaly the best Base Model - I have it on a yagi pointing to Wright State Tower - seems to capture about 85-90 % of traffic. On discone or stock antenna - forget it.

My best scanner has been the 436 - using it mobile it captures about 50% of traffic - on the yagi it performs well. I have added an 800Mhz antenna that helps. I can usually get Greene and Montgomery sites.

Good Luck ..

Jason

73s

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks for the replies. Jason, just what I wanted to hear, have had my eye on the bcd536 but erroneously thought I needed a p25ll scanner. I think I am going with the 536hp and the ws1065 as a backup desktop for SkyWarn and other local traffic. I have already purchased the TRX-1 for mobile, just waiting for it to arrive. Thanks much!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hey Jason, what brand yagi do you use and where did you get? I should go with what works. I have a Jet discone and an old Grove Scantenna that I will designate to the older scanners I run. Thanks for your help

hardt0303

When I still lived in Ohio, Huber Heights, I used the 436 and the 536. I never had any issues and they performed well. My dad uses a 436 and Pro - 197 which also works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.