Best Scanner For New Wake P25 System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
Good morning everyone. I'm currently using a Uniden 436 for the new Wake County P25 system. The receive audio volume changes up and down from time to time, and I think some have said its a scanner issue. With the exception of the SDS scanners, is there a better option than my current 436 to be able to handle the Wake County P25 system?

TIA, Happy Thanksgiving!

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I'm using both the Unication G5 and Uniden sds200 and no issues at all. Uniden also has the sds100 which is the handheld version. All of these are fairly easy to get up and running. The Unication is stellar on every system i've ever used it on.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I agree with Murray, a SDS series scanner is amazing on simulcast environments. Plus since you already have a file saved on sentinel, you just need to switch the target model from x36HP to SDSx00 and you'll be set to program everything similarly

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The receive audio volume changes up and down from time to time, and I think some have said its a scanner issue. With the exception of the SDS scanners, is there a better option than my current 436 to be able to handle the Wake County P25 system?

On my Unication and SDR I notice the same volume fluctuation you are, depending on the radio transmitting. I believe it is a system issue rather than scanner/radio issue. That said, the basic answer to your question about a better option, as mentioned by @jake_Braker and @murrayustud, is that a better scanner is limited to the SDS and Unication G4/G5, both designed to deal with simulcast issues.

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone! I still have to decide the difference for me between the two to purchase. I want to be able to scan at home, and then pull the unit into the field and change to TAC Channels at a scene to monitor activity.

JohnDistai

One thing to try first is a 996P2 unless you know you will have simulcast issues. It works great and is much cheaper than the SDS's are.

Chris0516

Thank you @JohnDistai. I was thinking that as well, but I also want a field unit to be able to monitor calls at the scene.
The only difference between the SDS100/200, and the 325p2/996p2. Is the complexity of the p2 scanners. I prefer my 325p2(handheld) to the SDS100(handheld) because:

1. $200 cost difference
2. Physical design of scanner shell allows it to stand up. Without fear of knocking it over
3. 325p2 has 83x the number of channels, that the SDS100 has
4. The orange backlit screen on the 325p2 illuminates the black text, in the dark. When toggling the knob. The SDS100 has a multi-colored display, on a black background. Which can be distracting.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
The cheapest non-internet way is to use two sdr dongles and Unitrunker/DSD Plus. You can do it for about $50. My 325p2 works great, great scanner with awesome reception in weak signal situations. I have a SDS 200, also a good scanner but don’t believe the hype. I would recommend the SDR dongle route coupled with a RR subscription. SDR dongles are just cool and you can discover/decode DMR and other stuff for free. Again, SDS scanners have lots of bells and whistles but you really don’t need them, the 325p2 does about 99% of what they can do. You can never have too many radios.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
Good morning everyone. I'm currently using a Uniden 436 for the new Wake County P25 system. The receive audio volume changes up and down from time to time, and I think some have said its a scanner issue. With the exception of the SDS scanners, is there a better option than my current 436 to be able to handle the Wake County P25 system?

TIA, Happy Thanksgiving!
Two SDR dongles w/ Unitrunker and DSD Plus. Cost is about $50.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Unless I just suck at setting up, I've noticed the voice decoding has similar if not more simulcast distortion as my 996P2 on Viper.

Status
Not open for further replies.