Best scanner for OZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowD

Greetings, folks.

A little while back I asked for advice on whether to have my BC 250D repaired or if I should replace it. It looks like it's just not worth repairing it. I've been experiencing scanner withdrawal. It has affected my mood, my work life, married life, etc. Oh, wait, I disregard that last part; I was getting carried away.

Let's say you were offered a belated birthday/father's day/mother's day/etc. gift of a scanner...and you live in Ozaukee County.

Which would you say is the best choice, the BC396 or the GRE PSR-500? Would either of those be "overkill" or is it good planning for the future? Something at that level is a considerable financial investment (for me) and I don't want to overdo it but I don't want to buy something that will require more money to receive digital if it's currently in use or it's use is imminent.

I've read a lot of back-and-forth about the advantages and disadvantages of both, but I've also read that there have been firmware updates with the GRE (not sure about the Uniden) so I'm a bit murky on just what the latest versions of either will do/not do. (That I can check on the other forums--fora?--but I'd like to hear from anybody who actually has used either one.)

What is the timetable (if known) for use of digital on the OZ TRS? Are they using it now? I have interest in receiving the Milwaukee County TRS, Ozaukee, perhaps some aero frequencies and would love to have decent weather alerting (while scanning, without having a pause while the radio is checking for alerts).

I've read that the Uniden has an issue with sound level between analog and digital (as in really loud volume for one and really soft volume for the other, such that one needs to manually adjust the volume in between).

I'm "used" to the Uniden setup but I could adjust if I went with a GRE or some other brand. These days, everything changes so rapidly anyhow...

Thanks for any advice you can give.

radio50

When I upgraded a year ago I went with two 996T radios, and I love them, but I still only use them for analog -- Ozaukee, Milw., Wauk. counties, LTR business, and some conventional stuff. I bought them (instead of a BCT-15) for the "insurance" of not getting locked out of digital, just in case.

After 6 months, I wanted a portable too. That time I took a chance and went with the analog-only 246T - much cheaper, works great, although the product is a tad old in the Uniden line.

Here's an old thread that might help a little:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36495

For me, I'm taking a chance with the 246T, but I suspect the 996T's are going to stay in analog mode for quite a while, based on messages I've seen posted. I wish I knew for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.