Best scanner for sc, nc, ga

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINNSBORO1

My old Pro-96 dies and I need a new scanner. Which of the Unidens is the best for SC, NC and GA which are the prime areas I will be in. Considering the Home Patrol and the new 436 but may consider a 996xt but it is rather old technology. Don't know which would be better for my needs. As far as I know we don't have any phase 2 trunking in my area or any plans in the near future.

Looking for good recommendations on scanner and where to buy at best price.

bama9999

If phase 2 isn't an issue, then either the BCD996XT, the Homepatrol or the BCD396XT either one, should do a great job for you. Of course the 436/536 will also have you covered in the event any phase 2 does become active in your area.

N8IAA

My old Pro-96 dies and I need a new scanner. Which of the Unidens is the best for SC, NC and GA which are the prime areas I will be in. Considering the Home Patrol and the new 436 but may consider a 996xt but it is rather old technology. Don't know which would be better for my needs. As far as I know we don't have any phase 2 trunking in my area or any plans in the near future.

Looking for good recommendations on scanner and where to buy at best price.

Old technology? I think not. Just because it's been around for awhile doesn't make it old technology. I have a 396XT and use it daily. North Carolina's new system is Phase I, Palmetto 800 in SC is mixed mode analog and digital. Depending on where you travel in GA, it could be analog or digital trunked, conventional analog, or conventional P-25. Even NXDN, and MOTOTRBO.
Best bet, the x96XT series. The x36HP series is too new with varying problems. Tried and true is the way to go.
Larry

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Old technology? I think not. Just because it's been around for awhile doesn't make it old technology. I have a 396XT and use it daily. North Carolina's new system is Phase I, Palmetto 800 in SC is mixed mode analog and digital. Depending on where you travel in GA, it could be analog or digital trunked, conventional analog, or conventional P-25. Even NXDN, and MOTOTRBO.
Best bet, the x96XT series. The x36HP series is too new with varying problems. Tried and true is the way to go.
Larry

I AGREE 100 % !

Soundman

I got the 436/536 and it works great for N.C. I have the BCD996XT that I was not that happy with in N.C. But in S.C. it worked great .For Ga you will need the Phase 2.If you live in Ga you need the 436/536 .

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I just picked up a 996XT. GREAT scanner. I bought it on DEEEEEEP clearance at RS. Works like a champ. I don't need P2.

Hey, I never said Uniden NEVER made good scanners :p !!

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Considering the Home Patrol and the new 436 but may consider a 996xt but it is rather old technology.

I'm pretty sure Uniden is using the same technology in the x36HPs' that they used in the 996XT, with the major difference being the former having P2 decode capability. If you don't need that, then the technology issue is a non-issue.

N8IAA

I got the 436/536 and it works great for N.C. I have the BCD996XT that I was not that happy with in N.C. But in S.C. it worked great .For Ga you will need the Phase 2.If you live in Ga you need the 436/536 .

Where in GA do you need Phase II?? Only one system shows Phase II, and it is not running TDMA TGID's. Fulton county hasn't even started its Phase II system yet. The Metro ATL is Phase I, Atlanta, Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, and DeKalb.
My first post should have made this clear.
Larry

Soundman

I thought the State Police went Phase II .You know better then me .You live there .Sorry if I am wrong .

Status
Not open for further replies.