Best scanner for VHF low band reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

This may seem an odd question as most all cover this band, but I am sure there are folks out there that have seen better reception on 25-54 on certain scanners. Looking to dedicate a cheap older scanner PRO-2050 or such to strickly low band. Any recommendations?

Greg-KJ4DGE

Ubbe

When the conditions where right 25 years ago I could hear fire brigades and others in the 35-45MHz range over the Atlantic from home using a UBC780XLT. When moving the coax to two other scanners and opening their squelch there was no hint of a signal. Moving the coax back to the 780 made the signals come in again.

/Ubbe

freqs

I have a Uniden 350A a fiberglass Tiger mobile antenna on a mast atop the garage .
Iam near Detroit and get great skip from the East coast states.
Hands down the best skip radio ive had besides the old Radio Shack Pro 2006

danesgs

Will contact the seller, thanks. I have dedicated scanners for each bands and certain purposes so thats why I am asking. 100 channels for low-band is more than enough.

KF6DGN

Premium Subscriber
My Uniden BC-125 AT does a great job picking up CHP 38-42MHz. in fact from my location inside my house I can receive 4 different CHP offices. Plus its a handheld so it goes with me everywhere.

majoco

Stirrer
I have a couple of UBCT8's here, one of which scans the low VHF band and does very well, but I suspect it does better because I made a vertical dipole antenna specifically for that 75MHz band.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
A big problem on low band with weak signal reception is going to be the noise floor. It will mask weak desired signals even for the best receivers. An SDR is a great tool for finding and removing noise sources at your receiving location (watch the noise floor as you turn off electronics/electrical items like LED lights).

p1879

Pro 2045 is great on milair and lowband, and like they say, the BC780 is a fine unit, especially with software use. The many customizable search banks can be chained together, so easy to monitor all the US Mil LB allocations and some state HP allocations. There are, of course, mil ops outside the bands commonly used, but the allocated areas are rich during propagation events. I find the pro 2045 extremely sensitive and use it for lowband and UHF Air daily. I have both radios.

My RS Pro 2006 still runs like new. I notice how sensitive it seems on the civilian air band.

BushDoctor

This may seem an odd question as most all cover this band, but I am sure there are folks out there that have seen better reception on 25-54 on certain scanners. Looking to dedicate a cheap older scanner PRO-2050 or such to strickly low band. Any recommendations?

Greg-KJ4DGE
I have a BC 300 it is the best scanner for lowband I have ever had. U might find one on ebay or from that repair center in New York
SCAN Try G&G Communications7825 Black Street Rd.LeRoy, N.Y 14482-9725585-768-8151

p1879

Yeah,Regency! My old Regency Hx-1200 was very impressive, sometimes from east Coast could hear California Lifeguards, and think LA County SD back during a previous solar cycle, while using the rubber duck antenna. If you put a telescoping whip on it, and went out to the lake, or shore, the skip reception was staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.