Best scanner to listen to state police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,I would like to know out of these two scanners which would be the best for listening to the state police?

The Uniden BCD996XT or the GRE PSR-600? How are these two radios with digital decoding on all digital systems and how are they with interference? Would the GRE have enough space for the Troop E and K channels and more? One more question would be how is the GRE system setup? I have only used the uniden banks/systems/group setup.

Thanks!

lensam

As far as the GRE goes, it works very well for the state, the only problem I see is if you're gonna put it in a vehicle you may need an external speaker. We purchasEd a few of these to put in our wreckers and the audio isn't very loud. At least not for me anyway

cg

Premium Subscriber
I prefer the setup and function of the Unidens but the P25 decoding in marginal signal areas is considered better with the GRE. Much of it comes down to personal preference rather than performance.

chris

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you are used to the Uniden set up, the GREs will take some getting used to. Software is a must for either.

A couple of things to consider with the GREs for mobile use are that the display is much smaller than the Uniden scanner and the volume and squelch controls are very finicky compared to the Unidens.

You will have enough memory to program in the CSP system, including all talk groups and all control channels. I programmed in the entire MA SP system with no problem.

As to the rest, it's really a matter of preference. I just added a PRO-197 to my collection of scanners and am really happy with it. For base use, it has some nice features compared to the BCT15X it replaced. Not just the digital capability, but some of the features are very nice.

scanningisfun

I have a 396XT so I can't compare...but is has a lot of great features and the way the memory works is pretty cool. P25 decoding works fine for me on CSP.

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
Best Scanner..

I have both the GRE PSR-500 and the PSR-800 scanners...programming them with the Radio Reference Database is a breeze with the software...and they both work great! Possibly the best scanners I have owned.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
I used a BCD996XT for the CSP and had no problems at all. So like someone said, it comes down to how much you can put towards a scanner. The GREs run cheaper the the Unidens.

Status
Not open for further replies.