Best Scanner to use in the Twin Cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tread_water

Premium Subscriber
Hi All I'm kinda new to the hobby. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the subject of scanners to use. I'm specifically looking at the PSR-500 or the bcd396xt. In doing research here on RR I'm finding that it's kind of a personal preference on which is better - I understand that. However, I think I read that the PSR-500 can not mute encrypted transmitions - is that an issue for scanning in the metro area (specifically the N.W. metro - maple grove, champlin, brooklyn park)? Is there enough encryption going on that being able to mute is even an issue? I last was scanning about 18 years ago when it was all analog and not trunked so this digital trunked P25 stuff is all pretty "new" to me.

Also is there any scanning clubs / meetings around the metro? I'd be interested in checking that out and seeing what people are saying about radios and the hobby in general in the twin cities.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks,
-Tread

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
The bcd396xt also mutes encrypted channels. There is a group that meets every few months in the metro area. Those meetings are a good place to see the different scanners. There is usually atleast one of each type. The talk at the last meeting was to hold another meeting in I think February. Keep an eye on this forum for information.

Status
Not open for further replies.