Best Scanner With VFO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4ktm

My Uniden 895xlt went out a while back was was thinking about replacing it with another one or trying something different. It will only be used for old analog stuff, Ham, Weather and some air stuff. I'm only looking for the radios with a vfo. Thanks Guys!!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Icom R30 covers from .1 mhz to over 3300 mhz and has dual receive ability It covers most voice formats (AM, FM, NFM) and some digital but not DMR. The words Icom and DMR are rarely used together due to manufacturer policy.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for a communications receiver (with scanning capabilities) with a fully tuneable VFO (and modes like SSB, CW, etc) AOR and Icom have some nice offerings. They're a bit pricier than a scanner radio is & they don't trunk track. Are digital modes important to you? (DMR, NXDN, P25, D-Star, YSF, etc)

73!

Ubbe

It will only be used for old analog stuff, Ham, Weather and some air stuff. I'm only looking for the radios with a vfo.
It would be hard to beat a Uniden BCT15x for both analog performance and cost. You can program each number button with only a single frequency system and then push the hold button and tune away around that frequency. Or if 3 VFO memories are enough use the number buttons as the usual scan banks/systems selections and use Function plus button 1-2-3 and program their search ranges with a single frequency and VFO tune from there.

/Ubbe

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You might have to look at something in the Icom or AOR line. Are you looking for base or portable?
If the 895XLT provided the necessary function, there's no reason any of the Unidens with a scroll knob wouldn't do what the OP is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.