Best SDR set-up for Los Angeles ***not a repost**

Status
Not open for further replies.

awooga

Premium Subscriber
***I hope you agree this isn't a repost since the Los Angeles OP25 thread ultimately is not what I thought it was***

So Ive learned a great deal recently about SDR -- I started on a Mac and got GQRX and DSD+ running beautifully together.

Problem was the dispatchers send out the incident but the patrol respond on a different frequency.

I thought this was Trunking and that they were using talkgroups. So I spent months getting OP25 up and running under linux on a windows tablet.

oh dear! Don't do that!

LAPD dont use trunking - and they dont use talk groups - they use Simplex and Talk Around (Which doesnt make OP25 all that useful.

So does anyone know a way to automatically get both dispatch and patrol cars that reply back automatically?

kmurphy41

Premium Subscriber
I listen to LAPD everyday they're on a conventional p25 system the dispatch and the mobile talk on the same channel, unless there's an incident where mobiles want to talk to each other they will use talk around or a tac channel.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
If you are hearing the dispatchers, then you should be hearing the field units on all of the divisional dispatch and tac channels. I have ten radios in front of me that I can hear both sides of all of the dispatch and Bureau Tacs all day long.

You are using the output frequencies to listen, yes? Forget about the input.

When I fooled around with DSD+ it worked about as well as I could expect, given the i3 Toughbook I was using to test with.

All of the Citywide tacs are also repeated, but the units are able to go into simplex mode. If you're trying to listen to SWAT or SIS, GND, PSB, the Jail. etc. running in simplex mode, it's not gonna happen if you are farther than a mile or two from the operation. And even then, it could be encrypted.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
If you wish to monitor 1 or more P-25 Conventional freqs, I would imagine DSD+ and FMP24 would be the best option; FMP24 allows you to scan through a list of digital frequencies, and both programs use very minimal CPU resources. Also with 2 dongles you could simultaneously monitor 2 P-25 frequencies, with 2 separate instances of DSD+ and FMP24.

awooga

Premium Subscriber
Thanks will give FMP24 a go -- Does anyone have any other ways they use SDR for LAPD? On OSX?

awooga

Premium Subscriber
FMP24 is Windows based -- did have a windows box but converted to Ubuntu 14.04 for OP24 ...

Anything mac based for scanning like FMP24?

awooga

Premium Subscriber
Scrapped trying to use Linux and OSX -- so switched to a windows box. Tried a few versions of SDR# as I liked the look of the interface but cant manage to find what version goes with what plugins -- definitely cant find a scanner plugin that works with the newest version. Is / was there a SDR# version that worked well with a {scanner plugin version} ?

PS - now I also see GQRX on Windows 10 but doesn't seem to have the audio feed-out options it does under Linux. Anybody been able to get that scanning and outputting?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Freq scanner scans ranges
Freq manager scans user set freqs.

I am running 1533 and my freq manager works fine. I am out for a few days but I could post the dll and the magic line text later this evening or tomorrow. The one I use is SDRSharp.FreqMan.dll. Search on rtl sdr ru and look for freq manager and try it. If it has a dll called SDRSharp.FreqMan.dll it should work with up to sdr 1533

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.