Best shortwave radio in a price range

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoMoma

Looking to buy another shortwave receiver. I`ve owned a couple and this time looking to spend about $200 to no more than $300 on my next one.
Got my eye on a couple from the likes of Kenwood, Yaesu and Realistic.
One thing that is a must. I want a digital display to know what frequency im on.
I`m looking for sound quality and ease of use. Will use headset often but sound quality is for listening thru the unit itself.
Most of the time I will be using it, I will be using a headset. My realistic DX 160 only seemed to work on one side of my headset. I want a unit that will use both sides. Doesn't have to be in stereo.
Anyone have any thoughts on what is a good unit for the money?
Thanks

majoco

Stirrer
My realistic DX 160 only seemed to work on one side of my headset.
IMHO you have stereo headphones in a mono socket.

You haven't said "New" or "Used". I have a Kenwood R2000 that has done me proud for over thirty years - you should be able to get one "Used" in your price range. Good front speaker, digital display, excellent stability, sensitive. Good reviews on Eham.

Blackswan73

Grundig Satelit 800 is a good performer in your price range. Also a Yeasu FRG 7700. Also might be able to scare up a Realistic DX 302. A DX 394 is also in that range, but I wouldn't recommend that one to my worst enemy. A new kid on the block, I have heard good things about, is the new Alinco receiver. You might also want to take a look at a SDR.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, unfortunately the days of inexpensive new desktops are gone - you're going to need to do some homework, and our wiki has numerous links to help you along...(anything blue is a link)

First, where can you find links to receiver reviews? Right here...

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Now as to SDRs - while they have a rather steep learning curve, they are without a doubt, where the new development is these days. We have a pretty extensive wiki with links on the subject (including some mailing lists) linked here...

SDRs with HF Coverage - The RadioReference Wiki

and a forum dedicated to SDRs...

Software Defined Radio - The RadioReference.com Forums

and one dedicated to HF antennas, which is just as important as the radio you choose...

Receive Antennas (below 30MHz) - The RadioReference.com Forums

and finally our wiki on the subject...

HF Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

Loops - The RadioReference Wiki

YoMoma

Thanks for the reply`s to my thread. It`s given me a lot to look into.
For the most part I assumed I would be buying used, But the Grundig Satelit receivers would be in my price range new.
So used or new, as long as its a good performer and within my price range, I will consider them all.

Token

If you don't mind having to use a computer, and if you want new, I don't think the Afedri SDR-Net can be beat in the under $300 price range. Of course, not everyone likes SDR or wants to be tied to a computer or tablet, but still, for the money, it is about the best out there on the new market.

T!

YoMoma

If you don't mind having to use a computer, and if you want new, I don't think the Afedri SDR-Net can be beat in the under $300 price range. Of course, not everyone likes SDR or wants to be tied to a computer or tablet, but still, for the money, it is about the best out there on the new market.

T!

So SDR is not using a receiver at all? You use your PC?

YoMoma

I see. Sounds intriguing but I think id rather stick with a traditional receiver at this time.

Blackswan73

Actually, what you see on the screen is the front of a high tech desktop receiver with readout and all the controls that are found on a high end desktop. You really still get the overall experience of using a conventional desktop receiver.

SCPD

QRT
Grundig Satelit 800 is a good performer in your price range.

You're not going to find an 800 between 200-300 that's in working order. Yes, if you can find one that's in good condition that is a steal of a price but don't hold your breath.

The Tecsun PL-880 is a portable but it's almost a desktop. It has true USB/LSB and digital display. It can even be calibrated. Mine required a slight calibration but it's a solid receiver for the price. < $200

Amazon.com: Tecsun PL880 Portable Digital PLL Dual Conversion AM/FM, Longwave & Shortwave Radio with SSB (Single Side Band) Reception: Electronics

You could try to find a used Alinco R8 but they're hard to find now. I think Alinco is coming out with a replacement or something as supply has nearly dried up. These are $440 new but can be found for $300-350-ish sometimes.

Alinco DX-R8T Alinco DX-R8 Receiver

You may be relegated to old HAM transceivers as most of the classic receivers are priced generally around $500 and if not, it usually means there's something wrong with them.

Keep in mind with older gear, that you may need to spend additional money to refurbish them and/or keep them in working order. Buying classic is risky.

YoMoma

The Alinco`s look nice but about $150 past my price range. I could keep this in mind if I can wait for awhile to accumulate the funds.
Buying new has its up side. I read where capacitors generally have a 30 year lifespan. A vintage radio may need work done to it at some point if I keep it long enough.
SDK wont be in the immediate future, so I wont buy a radio just for this reason. But it does look like some software is free if I want to go that route. Just need a cable.

SCPD

QRT
I would take a look at the Tecsun. It comes with a rechargeable battery and you can easily string up an external antenna if necessary. For under $200 it's a great deal. You should have pretty good reception with a very basic SW antenna being in Iowa. Very easy radio to use as well. I think you'd like it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I also find the PL-880 attractive, and there's a bonus, which is unheard of in portables in this price class - multiple selectivity bandwidths (dependent on mode). I would expect something like this in an eton E1 or Drake radio, but not something that costs less than USD300...Mike

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I remember the DX-160 I had in younger days. I have been using an Icom 735 (older ham rig) as a shortwave receiver. you can find them used in that range. For me it is a good solid radio and is simple to use as a receiver. you would need a 12 volt power supply but for just receive a 2-3 amp unit would be fine . It has the same headphone jack as your 160 but a mono to stereo adaptor will fix that also.

compared to the 160 I would say anything will be a step up for frequency readout and stability as well as selectivity.

SCPD

QRT
I also find the PL-880 attractive, and there's a bonus, which is unheard of in portables in this price class - multiple selectivity bandwidths (dependent on mode). I would expect something like this in an eton E1 or Drake radio, but not something that costs less than USD300...Mike

It also has some of the best tuning controls I've ever seen on a portable. It's almost like having a mini-desktop version.

Tuning resolution down to 10hz on SSB. (The main knob is 1khz tuning and the fine tuning knob is 10hz.)

Status
Not open for further replies.