AR-DV10 Best software for AR-DV10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I discontinued work on the AR-DV10 version, as mentioned in the above thread. Shame as it was close to completion, including a fully working Band Scope. At the time there were some serious firmware issues which caused the DV-10 to lock up totally, especially anything to do with external control and Memories.

AOR have still NOT fixed those control issues, despite several firmware updates, and they seem in no rush to do so. The main reason I stopped work on the Radio however was down to the analytical work others, and myself had done regarding the frequency stability and drifting. At the time AOR denied this, and in fact have never actually appeared to acknowledge the matter, despite 'attempting' to 'fix' it via firmware. Those particular issues were 'hardware' related, and in my opinion, and of others, could only have been completely put right at component level.

I posted these findings, as did others, and stated I could not recommend the DV-10, so felt I should abandon work on software for it.

A big disappointment to me, not just because of the software, but because I really loved the idea of the DV-10, and wanted one myself. I eventually returned mine to the Dealer.

I have no doubt some will love their AR-DV10's, and good luck to them. However it did not live up to AOR's previous reputation, and for me not being able to rely on the basics of knowing it stayed on the frequency it displayed was just too critical to ignore.

When comparing it side by side with other digital receivers, they were picking up and demodulating signals that the DV10 missed completely. It would pick up strong digital signals, but not other weaker ones. Of course that is what one would expect if a receiver was off frequency re. many digital signals.

Being digital there was no indication of absent signals, as the Radio just remains totally 'mute'. The phrase 'You don't know what you are missing' is pretty apt, unless one had a stable receiver next to it.

The AR-DV1 is stable, and does not suffer from the DV-10's problems.

c0ne

Such a shame they ask for close to $1200 for such a bug-ridden radio. At this point I wouldn't pay $120 for it. I'll stick with my DV1
What makes it even worse is that they don't seem to understand their own code and like to deny bugs even exist. They also seem to decide to investigate a bug based on the amount of reports they got about it. And if you report to often or maybe to persistent they will ban your e-mail.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Well I went against my statement above, bit the bullet and picked up a demo unit DV10 from Ham Radio Outlet at hundreds below MSRP. So far it's exceeding my original expectations. No drifting issues, nice clear audio, solid decodes. I'm quite happy with mine. Long story short, I found that Butel Arc DV1 Pro software works to program my DV10, you just need to make sure all the fields are filled out in the bank you import into (Mode, Bandwidth, squelch settings, etc. Otherwise it might not write to the radio correctly & the radio may freeze during scans. Exporting data from RR does not do this. The way I approach it is by programming one memory channel by hand then downloading from radio to Arc DV1 Pro, that way you have a template to fill in the missing info you'll need if you export from another data source. Copy & paste the missing fields and modify as necessary. Hope this helps & 73!

Last edited:

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Well I went against my statement above, bit the bullet and picked up a demo unit DV10 from Ham Radio Outlet at hundreds below MSRP. So far it's exceeding my original expectations. No drifting issues, nice clear audio, solid decodes. I'm quite happy with mine. Long story short, I found that Butel Arc DV1 Pro software works to program my DV10, you just need to make sure all the fields are filled out in the bank you import into (Mode, Bandwidth, squelch settings, etc. Otherwise it might not write to the radio correctly & the radio may freeze during scans. Exporting data from RR does not do this. The way I approach it is by programming one memory channel by hand then downloading from radio to Arc DV1 Pro, that way you have a template to fill in the missing info you'll need if you export from another data source. Copy & paste the missing fields and modify as necessary. Hope this helps & 73!
Ah Ha! So you bought the demo unit? I saw it last night for $799 almost took the plunge. Please keep us informed of your opinions and performance of the radio. I'm still looking for the sweet deal......

mrkelso

seems like all is lost on this piece of AOR history Will this be AOR'S EDSEL?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Wish I had the good fortune that W3JMC has. Mine was loaded with issues and wouldn't hardly receive NOAA weather. Stay away!

c0ne

Here is another issue, dPMR only working in AUT mode. Another thing they failed to properly test.

I stopped reporting issues to AOR since they don’t reply.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Wish I had the good fortune that W3JMC has. Mine was loaded with issues and wouldn't hardly receive NOAA weather. Stay away!
Same here, had issues and sent one back, got a replacement and had the same issues. What a shame. No issues with my DV-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.