Best Software to program pro -197 and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Would like to have a great software to program the Radio Shack Pro-197 and Uniden scanners. I guess there isn't a software that will program a bunch of different ones ? I just need a full featured software for programming of Handheld and mobile units. I programmed my RS pro 197 years ago with software that came with it, but would like to update and change some freqs easily while mobile is installed.

Thank you

Kenny

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are only 3 programs that support this radio; Win500, ARC500 and PSREdit500. All have trial periods to see whether you like it or not

Both Win500 and ARC500 have user guides, and you can find them linked at the bottom of...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

This is OT, since this is a RS only forum, but...what other Uniden scanners do you have? Scancat Lite Plus is a real POS and should be avoided like Superman avoids Kryptonite, and, sadly, Scan Control hasn't been updated in many years, although it does support both RS and Uniden scanners...

Mike

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate it, if Santa is good this year the Uniden BCD536HP.

Thank you both

Kenny

n5ims

While I use WIN-500, they're all three good programs and fully featured. Best part is they all have a 30 day free trial (fully functional to boot, not like some with the good parts disabled). The main differences is the user interface and that's a key part of why folks prefer one over another. My mind may "get" how one works and think that another is "quirky" while your works differently and has the totally opposite impression. To sweeten the "try before you buy" part, they all install easily and remove cleanly if you pick another one. They also play well together on the same PC (but only run one at a time!!!),

My advice is to download all three and run them through their paces on YOUR computer and YOUR scanner. That will give you the best review of which of the three are best for YOU.

mikey60

As one of the three software authors, I can't agree more with n5ims. Try them all to see which one works best for you. How my software approaches the programming may or may not work for you, where one of the others may. All three do exactly the same thing, just using different styles and flow.

The goal is to have you able to program your scanner the way you want regardless of which software you use. The decision on which software you use, if any, is a matter of personal taste and preference. Get what works for you.

Mike

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate it, just getting lazy I guess. I think the WIN500 demo came with it though and don't think it will let me try it.. Will download the other two though. I just want to program the scanner easy as it is mobile and use the trunk freq off of radio reference and be able to easily program in others. I appreciate all your comments.. I welcome the comments. I use the factory usb RS cable and Win 7 laptop if that makes any difference.
Kenny

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I had the demo software ARC500 when I bought the RS usb programming cable 20-546 for Pro 197 scanner. Hope the other two programs will use this cable as I will try the software this weekend after kids go home.. Do you have to keep paying each year for this software ?

Thank you
Merry Christmas
Kenny

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
That's the two, as ARC500 went out.. Good to know as I only use the software to program the scanner right now and don't program often..

Thank you
Kenny

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Apparently demo software was loaded back in 2011 with RS 20-546 cable with short extension. I thought only one was installed but apparently WIN500, ARC500, Psedit were installed because all three see the demo and ask for new registration keys. So will pick one and buy it..hi What is wrong with the short extension cable adapter anyway ?
Thank you
Kenny

n5ims

If you're asking about what I think you're asking about, that short adapter is a standard 1/8" stereo to mono adapter. It's generally not needed since it's only used on the very old model scanners (Pro-94 and earlier if memory serves). The older scanners used a single connection for the transmit and receive signal lines so the adapter was used. The new models require a stereo plug be used since they require separate transmit and receive data signals.

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate all the comments, been using the different software. Found one I like just a little better..
Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.