Best SSB/USB/LSB receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsblake

Tecsun PL-660. Dedicated USB/LSB, excellent filters, doesn't overload easily, just a darn good radio.

The problem with the Radio Shack PLL Receiver (Sangean 505 clone) is that it's dual sideband, which introduces twice the noise when trying to listen to single sideband signals as it is receiving both sidebands at the same time.

What people also don't realize is you can use software to give your single-side band portable infinite number of bandwidths LOWER then the unit's bandwidth. I often do this when I listen to CW on my 660, just load up multipsk and use that software to narrow the filter for perfect CW listening.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Tecsun PL-660. Dedicated USB/LSB, excellent filters, doesn't overload easily, just a darn good radio.

The problem with the Radio Shack PLL Receiver (Sangean 505 clone) is that it's dual sideband, which introduces twice the noise when trying to listen to single sideband signals as it is receiving both sidebands at the same time.

What people also don't realize is you can use software to give your single-side band portable infinite number of bandwidths LOWER then the unit's bandwidth. I often do this when I listen to CW on my 660, just load up multipsk and use that software to narrow the filter for perfect CW listening.

Another vote for the 660. Great little radio. I also like the 380 for its portability and great reception. No SSB but that's alright!

When I'm in the shack the Icom 718 works great for receiving AM/SSB stations and hamming it up.

JustLou

The 660 is a great, fairly inexpensive small portable. I sold my 7600GR, which is also very good, and kept the 660.

majoco

Stirrer
My Sony CRF-230 is portable - it's got a handle..........but it weighs 28lbs!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
That Sony must be 35 or more years old, looks like it has been well taken care of, did you buy it new Martin ?

SpectreOZ

I upgraded to the wadley loop design of the DX300 and compared to what I had used before it is awesome... this will of course change the minute I get my hands on an Icom, Kenwood OR Alinco SW receiver

After having tinkered with a Kenwood R1000 I'd like to change my recommendation as this is my "new" favourite receiver :D

majoco

Stirrer
Last edited:

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I also have a Sony CRF 230. It performs as well as my Grundig Satellitt 800. Its a great radio if you can find one. Mine is unrestored and has several issues. Like Martin said, its a pain to work on, so mine still sits as is.

alucke

For a tabletop receiver, I use a Lowe HF-225. Although no longer available, it's pure performance and simplicity. I believe the European model may still be available. Lowe radios are tough cookies - made for performance with minimal bells and whistles.

For a portable, I have a Grundig YB-400 and a couple of others. I don't believe you can go wrong with the offerings from C Crane, though, so anything they offer would likely be a good buy from a performance standpoint.

N8YX

Drake R7. Don't get caught up in the 'A' variant pricing madness, as an R7 can easily be converted to its late-model equivalent.

Drake R8A or B.

Mackay Marine 3031A or 3041A.

Icom R71A -IF- the known gotchas are addressed.

Watkins-Johnson 871x, HF1000

Ten-Tec RX-340.

Cubic R3030 and variants.

I purposefully left the Racals and Harris rigs off the list owing to display issues. If you can find a low-hours late model of either of these, by all means buy it...but parts are getting hard to come by. Especially the displays...

Last edited:

jslo

My two cents

The JRC stuff is worth considering if you have the time to hunt. The NRD 535 and 545 are really desirable but hard to find clean. Spent 6 months locating a 545 and paid what the radio sold for new 7-10 years ago and I am glad to have it.
Also a $13k receiver is only as good as the antenna feeding it.

Jslo

mainetrunk

If you want a portable, and have patience programming it for EVERY detail, then I say get an Alinco. Handhelds are easier to move for reception than a mounted 1. My dj-x11t is alright inside, as long as it is in its own area. For button pushing fun, look at an Alinco. I did, and still having fun pushing 6 buttons to do a regular scan. It also scans 2 sepparate banks, or same. IOW you can see on the display the top bank being scanned, and on the bottom as well. In a weird way, its 2 scanners/receivers at once. The USB (hz) is great. Too bad I dont have much use for it , now.... Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.