Best time to use IRLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TAX

Hi I'm just getting into using IRLP and I was wondering what the best times were to use IRLP to connect to distant areas. I've tried to use it around 8 pm and connected to various nodes without any success to date. The other question I had was how long should I wait for a response before closing the link. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.
VE3TAX

LtDoc

One method is to think in terms of time zones. Is anyone likely to be awake at some particular time? After that, it's more a matter of finding someone who'z also listening, just like on 'real' radio. Some reflectors are more 'active' than others, no idea which you may be interested in so give them a try and see what happens. How long should you listen before closing a link? Good question, and it varies. I think it would be a fairly good idea to give it at least a minute or two. How many times have you ever wanted to do something and couldn't turn loose of whatever you were doing at the time? There's no 'set' rule about it, so do what seems reasonable to you.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

AlaskaMike

I agree with LtDoc. Definitely consider the timezone of the repeater or node you're connecting to. The Alaska reflector (node 9070 I think) is pretty active most of the time, especially on the weekends. On the other hand, there are nodes that are pretty dead except for very narrow times.

Definitely call out a couple times though. There are many times when I've heard people call out on the Alaska reflector when I'm in another room, and by the time I get to the radio they've already disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.