Best to install DMR & NXDN Upgrades on a SDS200 or BCD996HP, Pro's & Con's?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm considering purchasing the DMR & NXDN upgrades. I'm not sure I want to tie up my SDS200 monitoring those modes as I pretty much dedicate it to P25. So I'm planing on installing the upgrades in one of my BCD996P2's. Are there any Pro's & Con's as to which scanner will perform best with those upgrades?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Simulcast issues on the 996?
Simulcast DMR & NXDN systems aren't as commonly found as P25 Phase-II systems. One can always check the database or license if they encounter a possibility & are not sure. I can't speak for the 996P2 but I see no performance difference between my 436HP & SDS100 on either mode when connected to same antenna.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have numerous things to monitor in my area on DMR and NXDN. I'm also familiar with simulcast issues on P25 (even though I don't have any problems with it at my home location). My question is will the DMR & NXDN upgrades perform better on the SDS200 or the BCD996P2, or would be no difference?
Simulcast issues on the 996? The SDSXXX models do better if that is a concern. If not, it’s probably all good. …With the assumption you actually have DMR & NXDN systems to monitor… no sense in paying for something you won’t need.
Are simulcast issues the same with DMR & NXDN as they are with P25 for some users? I haven't heard of any simulcast issues on DMR or NXDN. I'm not having any simulcast issues on P25 with my BCD996P2's. That being said, should I expect any on DMR or NXDN? Is there such a thing? Or do they perform differently from P25 systems?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Are simulcast issues the same with DMR & NXDN as they are with P25 for some users?
I would suspect yes but I don't have any local simulcast systems around me to test

Yes I have plenty of both DMR and NXDN in my area.
Are any systems "conventional networked" by chance? or MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Multi Site (TRBO) or TIII Cap Max? These are sometimes simulcast. Again, best to check the license or RRDB if identified

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would suspect yes but I don't have any local simulcast systems around me to test

Are any systems "conventional networked" by chance? or MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Multi Site (TRBO) or TIII Cap Max? These are sometimes simulcast. Again, best to check the license or RRDB if identified
It doesn't appear that they are simulcast:

DMR

NXDN

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Are there any Pro's & Con's as to which scanner will perform best with those upgrades?
I have DMR and NXDN on 2 SDS200, and 2 BCD996P2. With a number of local agencies (full quieting signal - no simulcast), performance on both is pretty much identical all around. This is with 1 SDS200 and 1 BCD996P2 split from the same antenna, and the other radios each with their own antenna.

What is very noticeable is how much the DMR systems themselves (around here anyways) can vary. Our local Highway Maintenance Dept and a few others sound way overmodulated and very muddy, but they sound that way on all scanners both stationary and mobile. Other systems sound crystal clear on all scanners, like a conversation at the kitchen table.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I seem to remember there being issues between Nxdn conventional and Nxdn oft and missing calls. I do not remember which scanners it was for.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have them installed on everything in my Sig that they will install on. Any difference? Not that I can tell.

However, most of my DMR is strong. It's also stuff I rarely listen to.