Best UCAN Scanner / Radio etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaton

I am wanting to monitor UCAN, the Utah County channels specifically. I have been researching scanners etc looking for a nice toy. So far I am zeroing in on a BC396T handheld. I also looked into it seemed some people were actually buying the motorola radios and configuring them in a receive only mode and using them as scanners.

Any advice ? What would you suggest ?
I am interested in all kinds of solutions.

Can any ham radios handle listening to UCAN ? To my understanding the is an ACPO-25 analog setup ? Is that right ?

The sheriff mentioned we would be getting new handhelds the other day. Does that mean there is an upgrade on the horizon, or just replacing older equipment ?

N7YUO

I have not been in the market for a new scanner since UCAN rebanded, so I can not speak for any particular scanner on the market today. But here are a few facts:

1. UCAN sites use Motorola Type II analog, so any reband capable scanner will work.
There is a listing somewhere on RR.com that has all the scanners listed.

2. If you are leaning toward a hand held, you will probably carry it with you during some travels.
Here are some local areas that have P25 digital:
Hill Air Force Base, National Parks such as Arches, The WyoLink system in Wyoming, Bannock County, Idaho (Pocatello & Lava Hot Springs)
Also: There are a few Digital Talk Groups used in SL County: West Valley PD & Midvale PD.
They only talk digital when they want some privacy.

3. If you want to get a scanner that receives P25 digital, you will have to pay more.

kf7yn

If you are mainly monitoring UCAN, there is so little P25 digital that I would consider the GRE PSR-310 handheld. I bought the 310 at sonicelectronix.com for $150 shipped. It's my main "walkin' around' scanner. In fact there is more encryption than straight digital on the 7202 system. The 310 is the best bang for the buck. Of course the BC396XT is a fabulous scanner but one must weigh the need for digital vs cost.

I have several scanners for digital such Hill AFB, WyoLink, Idaho 700 MHz, Feds, etc. but the 310 is perfect for public service monitoring in Utah. It is easily programmed with Win500 and any Radio Shack or GRE programming cable.

That's my 23.5¢ worth.

seaton

If you are mainly monitoring UCAN, there is so little P25 digital that I would consider the GRE PSR-310 handheld. I bought the 310 at sonicelectronix.com for $150 shipped. It's my main "walkin' around' scanner. In fact there is more encryption than straight digital on the 7202 system. The 310 is the best bang for the buck. Of course the BC396XT is a fabulous scanner but one must weigh the need for digital vs cost.

I have several scanners for digital such Hill AFB, WyoLink, Idaho 700 MHz, Feds, etc. but the 310 is perfect for public service monitoring in Utah. It is easily programmed with Win500 and any Radio Shack or GRE programming cable.

That's my 23.5¢ worth.

Thanks so much for the response.

I referred two friends from the county to your post as the 310 sounds like a nice option that is much cheaper. I love the looks of that scanner too. I know I am nuts but if I am paying big bugs I want a cool muticolor led display etc.

I found a deal on a PRO-18 so am hoping it will serve me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.