Best Uniden digital scanner of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If I had a dollar for every "best scanner" or "favorite scanner" thread created on these forums I'd be a rich man. Of course the general consensus are the SDS100 & 200 but I'd be hesitant to make that recommendation if simulcast distortion isn't a major factor in your area or if the agency(ies) of your interest are still analog. If it's within your budget, then go for either SDS

The one or several that covers all bands
No scanner covers "all bands". Some questions for you to consider would be what are your primary monitoring interests? Do some research on the Radioreference database to determine what type of trunked system(s) you primarily intend to monitor. Focus on the "System Type" row.

Does encryption exist on the system(s) and talkgroups of your interest? This would be denoted in the Mode column of each talkgroup as 'De' or 'Te' (lower-case 'e' indicates part-time encryption) or DE or TE (capital-E indicates full-time encryption, which no scanner can monitor) Widespread encryption can greatly influence one's decision on whether or not to purchase a scanner

Once you do some research and know the answers to these questions, this will give you a better idea of what scanner to buy. Maybe check with the folks on your state forum to see what they recommend for your area. The chart below summarizes trunking scanners and P25 system types they can track. Perhaps this will be of great use to you:

Best wishes!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Danny, no one can correctly assume or guess your wants and needs as far as your monitoring interests without knowing your logistics and location and the agencies you wish to listen to. The quick, uninformed, reply would be the SDS-series scanners if you have simulcast LSM in your area, the SDS100 handheld or the SDS200 base station. If not, then the Uniden BCD536HP and BCD436HP would be better suited for your situation.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If I had a dollar for every "best scanner" or "favorite scanner" thread created on these forums I'd be a rich man. Of course the general consensus are the SDS100 & 200 but I'd be hesitant to make that recommendation if simulcast distortion isn't a major factor in your area or if the agency(ies) of your interest are still analog. If it's within your budget, then go for either SDS

No scanner covers "all bands". Some questions for you to consider would be what are your primary monitoring interests? Do some research on the Radioreference database to determine what type of trunked system(s) you primarily intend to monitor. Focus on the "System Type" row.
View attachment 89269

Does encryption exist on the system(s) and talkgroups of your interest? This would be denoted in the Mode column of each talkgroup as 'De' or 'Te' (lower-case 'e' indicates part-time encryption) or DE or TE (capital-E indicates full-time encryption, which no scanner can monitor) Widespread encryption can greatly influence one's decision on whether or not to purchase a scanner
View attachment 89271

Once you do some research and know the answers to these questions, this will give you a better idea of what scanner to buy. Maybe check with the folks on your state forum to see what they recommend for your area. The chart below summarizes trunking scanners and P25 system types they can track. Perhaps this will be of great use to you:

View attachment 89272

Best wishes!
Danny, no one can correctly assume or guess your wants and needs as far as your monitoring interests without knowing your logistics and location and the agencies you wish to listen to. The quick, uninformed, reply would be the SDS-series scanners if you have simulcast LSM in your area, the SDS100 handheld or the SDS200 base station. If not, then the Uniden BCD536HP and BCD436HP would be better suited for your situation.
So Danny if your question is what's the best digital scanner Uniden makes in 2020 for me then there are a lot of factors as been mentioned here. What your needs are, price point Etc

For me I would answer your question by saying the SDS 100 and the SDS 200. They are the top of the line, most expensive Uniden scanners that do the most and handle simulcast Distortion secondary to LSM.

As far as you needing the top-of-the-line Uniden offerings?... All the points made here are valid about your needs, what you will be listening to, price point Etc. Uniden makes a lot of good radios you just have to determine which one is best for you and your particular situation.

skynet110

Premium Subscriber
I too am looking at either the sds100 or the 436, I am in the 13350 area and know that the state police use P25 I & II mode FMN. Will the SDS pick up local PD as well?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So you are in Herkimer County New York? Amazing that you are on all conventional VHF frequencies for all public service including police and fire.

You could use any scanner for that. If you need to pick up the New York State Police simulcast, if that's important to you, you're going to want to get the SDS radio that has the SDR chip in it rather than the 436.

skynet110

Premium Subscriber
So, being new and buying my first scanner, would the SDS suit my needs? I am willing to pay more for a scanner that will be supported longer, I just want to make sure that this will work for me in this area for local EMS, Fire, PD, and NYSP.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Uh, which NYSP simulcast? NYSP uses analog VHF in most counties, unless they are on that county's TRS. There is no state-wide system in NY.
Uh, he lives in troop D and the database says that's a phase 2 Central New York interop system. Troop D also uses Phase 1 Lewis County system.

I live in Pennsylvania, I was only trying to help him out here but... why don't you take care of it since you know more about it.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Uh, he lives in troop D and the database says that's a phase 2 Central New York interop system. Troop D also uses Phase 1 Lewis County system.

I live in Pennsylvania, I was only trying to help him out here but... why don't you take care of it since you know more about it.

Yeah, what I said. :)

Troop D covers seven counties in NY. Where there is a TRS, they operate on it. Neither of those systems covers Herkimer County.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, what I said. :)

Troop D covers seven counties in NY. Where there is a TRS, they operate on it. Neither of those systems covers Herkimer County.
I too am looking at either the sds100 or the 436, I am in the 13350 area and know that the state police use P25 I & II mode FMN. Will the SDS pick up local PD as well?
Well perspective owner Skynet is under the impression that the state police are on Phase 1 and Phase 2 in Herkimer County so you have set him straight now.

Skynet, this is OT for this thread. Try going to the New York State forum and see what they say there with regards to your needs and we will let this thread get back on topic. Sorry folks.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
My 2 BCD996P2's are pulling in more than the SDS200, when I test on the same P25 Phase 2 Digital systems on the same antenna, a Yagi.
My 2 BCD996P2's and BCT15x are pulling in more than the SDS200 when I test on the same VHF/UHF Analog systems on the same antenna, a Diamond Discone.
I have no Simulcast issues, at this time, but still have an SDS200. I like the features on it.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
My 2 BCD996P2's are pulling in more than the SDS200, when I test on the same P25 Phase 2 Digital systems on the same antenna, a Yagi.
My 2 BCD996P2's and BCT15x are pulling in more than the SDS200 when I test on the same VHF/UHF Analog systems on the same antenna, a Diamond Discone.
I have no Simulcast issues, at this time, but still have an SDS200. I like the features on it.
Yep I understand. The use of the filters or should I say the proper use of the filters makes a big difference. After mastering the 100 and 200 I have to say it is far superior than any other Uniden radio and I've owned them all.

This is not the place for it but checkout the threads on the filters and ifx. The curve is deeper than people think on the SDS series.:)

Last edited:

skynet110

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for your replies, didn’t mean to hijack this thread. For me it’s was a simple question of will the SDS100 work for me or am I wasting my money? Sorry again for going OT!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks everyone for your replies, didn’t mean to hijack this thread. For me it’s was a simple question of will the SDS100 work for me or am I wasting my money? Sorry again for going OT!

It all will depend on what type of systems you want to listen to. Your location and whether the systems are Simulcast, digital or analog etc etc. The SDS 100 is an awesome scanner but it may not be the best scanner for a given purpose. Other scanners may do an even better job at less costs but, again that would depend on many factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.