Best VALUE 2m/440 Mobile antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have suggestions, i don't want a glass mount b/c i've never liked them, I would prefer a mag mount, b/c permanant mounts eh, i like them, but i will not have my truck for much longer and don't want holes in the new truck right away. i'm looking to spend 50$ max, looking for some good gain, any suggestions? the futher under 50$ the better, but i want agood value not a ratshack tenna... oh and who has the best prices, i have been checking HRO.com and ofcourse e-bay! lol

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
any now that i am thinking about it, what about it, can't you get a mag mount base with a nmo or iso mount and get a certain brand antenna that you can actually screw on to the top of the mount and remove likewise? that might be best incase i upgrade or switch antennas later....

that and the problem i have is the mag mount i have now (which is 2m only) is the one pieve thing, so the cable is getting loose at the mag mount base, but i can't replace it and the whip is the only part of the antenna that comes off so it is one that you have to replace the entire thing instead of two pieces like i'd prefer, heck if the coax could disconnect from the mag mount would be good to, but i don't think i've seen that...

ok, give me suggestions, back to e-bay for me! lol

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not sure what kind of mount you would need, but I've been using Diamond 2m/440 antennas for many years on a standard trunk lip mount, and it works very well with both the old Yaesu and Icom radios I've had in the car over the years. I'm not going out and getting soaked at the moment, but I would strongly consider one of them. The one I have has a reasonable frequency response from about 130-500 Mhz or so. When I worked in Prince George's county Maryland, I used that antenna to hear the 490 mhz system and had no problems at all.

Mag mounts scratch the surface of the vehicle unless you put something beneath it, and if your area is prone to kids ripping off vehicles, it isn't the best choice anyway. I've lost 2 antennas that way. 73s Mike

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
i'm pretty sure i am safe from a ripping, have been thus far, doesn't happen as much in the south, or atleast not in my town.. i searched some more and i've seen some NMO mag mounts and NMO antennas, but they were on ebay and didn't have brand names, but now i will search for larsen/comet/diamond NMO mount antennas. mag mount is fine b/c i put those black circle pads down under them, works like a camp and should come up leaveing no residue, but i don't know for sure on that b/c i haven't taken one off yet...

kf4lne

hit up your local comm shop and see if they have a used NMO mag base they will sell you then hit the hamfests and pick up a good larsen or diamond multiband antenna.

hsdtech

I have a Diamond NMO dual band antenna and mag mount, but it cost me a lot more than $50. Try ebay for cheaper used ones.
Or of course there are cheaper new ones, but not brand name so performance may suffer.
Good Luck.

Concrete1

Take a look at the ANLI antennas, such as the WH-711C , they are right up there in quality & gain with the best, & should be in your price range brand new, especially if you get a used or off brand mount instead of ANLI or other name brand mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.