Best VHF/UHF Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSL126

I'm looking for an omni-directional antenna to boost my coverage around the Tuscaloosa area. The frequencies that I mainly listen to are in the range of 150 MHz to about 160 MHz. I also listen to the air band (both vhf and uhf milair). I'm fairly close to all of the transmitters, but i'd like to be able to pull in some stuff from Birmingham and surrounding counties as well. Thanks in advance!

LarrySC

There is a 3db gain VHF antenna at this site: www.bncantenna.com The stock # is WNC. Its a MAXRAD base loaded 49" 5/8 wave mobile antenna and can be mounted on an NMO base adp. Using the NMO [ new Motorola ] industry standard hardward gives you the option of selecting hundreds of ant's from various mfg's for any freq range. Good Luck

dputz

I use a Comet SBB25, which comes in UHF and NMO flavors. It has about 4.5db gain at 144mhz, but I routinely use it in 2 meters, 150mhz public service, and 160mhz railroad bands and can pull in signals from 40+ miles in the hills and dales of Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia. In the flats out there I bet you'd get out to 75+ with a good radio.

Thumbs up!

CSL126

dputz said:
In the flats out there I bet you'd get out to 75+ with a good radio.

You're not the first person that thought it was flat down here lol. Tuscaloosa is actually the start of the Appalachian Mountain chain, so it's fairly hilly, but not too bad.

Also, sorry if I didn't specify, I am looking for a base antenna.

Thanks again!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi CSL and all,

Do your own homework, look up the specs but BEWARE OF SNAKE OIL. Only you know your specific requirements and only your opinion matters. See the can of worms your ambiguous question opened? You have barely scratched the surface, more confusuion to come and likely a challenge to my comment will accompany it.

safetyobc

kb2vxa said:
Hi CSL and all,

Do your own homework, look up the specs but BEWARE OF SNAKE OIL. Only you know your specific requirements and only your opinion matters. See the can of worms your ambiguous question opened? You have barely scratched the surface, more confusuion to come and likely a challenge to my comment will accompany it.

I agree. It is trial and error based on your location. I have bought many antennas that have worked, but have bought several that were junk.

Good luck.

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.