BCD325P2/BCD996P2: best way for me to program a Uniden BCD325P2 ?

NevadaGMRS

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, very noob question I imagine. I'm a licensed general and gmrs user, but really am just trying to use a scanner without doing all the homework to figure every detail out as I have plenty of projects right now that are using up all of my brain capacity.

I'm planning on buying a bcd325p2 and have heard programming it is a bear. I'd like to find the easiest way to have it programmed relevant to my area, to allow me to make any manual adjustments that I want (prioritizing this vs. that, specific frequencies, etc), and ideally that would allow me to keep it updated over the years as frequencies come and go.

I don't mind paying money for the sofware or service. If I had to pick, I'd rather pay more for more convenience as I feel like it would be worth it to me.

Bob1955

Hey there, very noob question I imagine. I'm a licensed general and gmrs user, but really am just trying to use a scanner without doing all the homework to figure every detail out as I have plenty of projects right now that are using up all of my brain capacity.

I'm planning on buying a bcd325p2 and have heard programming it is a bear. I'd like to find the easiest way to have it programmed relevant to my area, to allow me to make any manual adjustments that I want (prioritizing this vs. that, specific frequencies, etc), and ideally that would allow me to keep it updated over the years as frequencies come and go.

I don't mind paying money for the sofware or service. If I had to pick, I'd rather pay more for more convenience as I feel like it would be worth it to me.
NevadaGMRS-The best way to program the Bearcat BCD325P2 is via FreeScan software (Look on YouTube also) and the cheapest place now to purchase this is Amazon.Com and as of today, 5/28/24 it is currently $356.29 and hope this helps you out.
Also, purchase a Diamond RH-77CA rubber duck along with Panasonic Eloop batteries with a charger and do NOT charge the batteries in this handheld scanner.
Hope you had a nice Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Bob (KB2GQK)

NevadaGMRS

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I think I'll do the proscan version once this shows up. I don't mind paying a few bucks for people who are writing software and keeping websites alive and running.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Proscan would be the best way but look real close to the menus. Its almost not needed to program the way Uniden grouped the services, almost. I got DMR for mine so far. For PD, even scans in lower frequencies PD is at. But proscan is the best if needed. I use mine for on the road scanning. Does a great job. In big towns with simulcast, its a bit difficult but doable. Enjoy it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. I think I'll do the proscan version once this shows up. I don't mind paying a few bucks for people who are writing software and keeping websites alive and running.
ProScan, by far, is the better choice for programming, logging, and virtual control. While FreeSCAN can handle most programming, if you have, or expect to have, some DMR or NXDN channels, FreeSCAN cannot correctly handle either. ProScan, or the ARC software, are required to deal with those modes.

NevadaGMRS

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone and the proscan recommendation. I dropped the cash for the license and for a year of this site's premium subscription and I think my scanner was up and running in ~20 minutes from opening the box. Happy to put some money towards folks who are building and maintaining the radio interest.