Best Way To Change USB Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdiesel

As far as wear & tear goes; is it better to use the power switch or unplug & plug the cable back in each time? This is especially for when making a lot of changes & etc.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As far as wear & tear goes; is it better to use the power switch or unplug & plug the cable back in each time? This is especially for when making a lot of changes & etc.
Don't know, offhand, which would result in less 'wear'. My guess, and it's only my guess, is that the power switch would be the better choice.

But in my case, my SDS200 is connected to my laptop for logging via ProScan. In ProScan, you can send a command to the scanner to put it into Mass Storage Mode without cycling the power switch or unplugging/ re-plugging the USB cable. I also do that with ProScan for my 536HP, which is connected to my desktop. The command puts the scanner into Mass Storage Mode for a specified time period, so I can read the scanners into the software, or write updated Favorites lists and the database to the scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Proscan suggestion. I'm a paid user for it.
Look under the Test & Extras tab. In the upper right corner is a field labeled as Protocol command.
Send MSM,xxxx (xxxx reperesents the numbers) to the scanner and it will put it in Mass Storage Mode for a specified time. MSM,0300 would put the scanner in mass storage mode for 300 seconds (5 minutes). It does seem to need the four number fields, even if the first one is a zero. You can, of course, use a longer period if needed. I believe there were comments sometime back that 1000 seconds or so was the maximum. I've never needed anywhere near that long.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Would you please explain where this command is in Proscan?
If you are looking at the logging screen, click on the Test & Extras tab84871
That gets you to a page (the top section still displays the scanner display) where you see various text fields changing as the scanner goes through the systems programmed. In the upper right corner is the Protocol Command field.

Type your desired MSM length command into that field & click on the Send.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
What cable are you referring to? The power or programming? Yo mention the power switch which makes me think it the power cord you are referring to but you also mention making a lot of changes which has me leaning towards the programming cable. If it is the programming cable, what reason is there for shutting the radio down between changes? I’m confused but curious.

zzdiesel

I'm sorry, I was referring to the USB cable. I was meaning the wear & tear on the mini-USB port and the wear & tear on the power switch turning it off & on to switch modes.

Kaleier1

I'm sorry, I was referring to the USB cable. I was meaning the wear & tear on the mini-USB port and the wear & tear on the power switch turning it off & on to switch modes.
Since the day I got my SDS200 I plugged the micro USB cable in and never unplugged it. I find it easier to make any changes in Sentinel than to mess with the key pad. I just disconnect the USB cable from the computer after safely removing the drive (SDS200) in windows for the same reason, ie I didn'rt want to wear out the micro USB jack because it is a horrible design for robustness and should have never been used.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Since the day I got my SDS200 I plugged the micro USB cable in and never unplugged it. I find it easier to make any changes in Sentinel than to mess with the key pad. I just disconnect the USB cable from the computer after safely removing the drive (SDS200) in windows for the same reason, ie I didn'rt want to wear out the micro USB jack because it is a horrible design for robustness and should have never been used.
Ah, got it. I agree. I leave mine plugged in. But more for the reason of forgetting where I left it than wearing out the socket. But now that you mention it, it’s probably not a good idea to be excersizing it any more than necessary. The insulation on the cable is already showing wear on mine. Just behind the plug on the radio end. I keep meaning to shrink tube it...

Kaleier1

Yeah, micro USB jacks might be okay for something that is always plugged in but for contant plugging and unplugging of a cable, like to charge the battery in a phone to tablet, it is a very bad design. It damages both the USB cable and eventually the micro USB port itself. At least if you damage the computer side of the the USB cable you just replace the cable.

djeplett

I bought this USB hub from Amazon:

I turn the ports that my SDS scanners are plugged into on when I want to program them and I just need to hit E on the keypad. Once I'm done programming I shut those ports off. If I want to just charge my SDS100 I turn it's port on and when it prompts if I want to use serial port mode or mass storage mode I just let it time out to serial port mode so it will charge. I only use Sentinel and find this works great and puts the wear and tear on the USB hubs buttons.

Last edited:

djeplett

I owned the SDS100 first, and I was worried about wear & tear also. So at first I had a short adapter cord plugged in that went from mini-USB to micro-USB and I used two different cables that I would plug and unplug into that adapter cable as needed. One went to the Uniden wall wart for charging and one went to my PC for programming. But this hub is even easier if you only use Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.