Best way to duplicate programming across different models

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesocyclone

Hi,
I've got several Uniden scanners, each a different model, all P-25 trunking capable but one. What is the easiest way to put the same programming in all (leaving out, of course, the P-25 for the BCT-15X)? I'd like to be able to do this fairly easily, so I can keep them in sync without spending an hour each time.

I have ProScan (good product!) and Sentinel. I have just used ProScan to do this, but it's a little tedious, and a few things don't transfer because of slightly different data models. For example, on older P-25 scanners, there is not a separate quick key for a trunking system and the trunking site, which is possible on the newer ones (536HP and SDS series).

Thoughts?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There’s always copy and paste when all else fails. I have the BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD436HP, BCD996XT, SDS100 and SDS200. When I can’t import/export using the corresponding BUTEL ARC programs, I just open the Butel “get from”and the Butel “go to” programs, each at half screen where I can do wholesale copy and paste (or in those cases where I may have to copy and drag certain parameters).

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I use Freescan to go between many DMA flavored scanners. Freescan won't work for the HP versions.

hfxChris

Database Admin
I use Freescan to go between many DMA flavored scanners. Freescan won't work for the HP versions.
I'll send that. I tried using Proscan when I got my BCD325P2 because Freescan doesn't support DMR/NXDN, and got aggravated trying to make Proscan work with my different DMA Unidens. So I went back to Freescan as my primary programming software, and I only use Proscan to upload the DMR/NXDN stuff.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
got aggravated trying to make Proscan work with my different DMA Unidens.
Did you send me an email on that? If there is a problem, you didn't do anything to help fix it if needed fixing.
Anyone who has worked with me over the years on any issues knows I always send out text files until done right.

{edit} I don't know what went wrong in your case regarding ProScan DMR/NXDN systems.
It's just a matter of setting the system type to MotoTRBO or NXDN Trunk.
On MotoTRBO systems, set the Color Code at the frequency level.
On NXDN Trunk systems, set the RAN at the frequency level.

Last edited:

mesocyclone

Did you send me an email on that? If there is a problem, you didn't do anything to help fix it if needed fixing.
Anyone who has worked with me over the years on any issues knows I always send out text files until done right.

As a relatively new active ProScan user - the support is outstanding!

As a software developer, I know what it takes to do that, and I appreciate it, Bob!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can you see how negative this sounds? It would probably be more appropriate to say something like 'tech support also helps fix bugs'. ;)
Not really. I can see if someone brings an issue to my attention and I did nothing about it then a complaint would be justified.
In this case, I'm unaware of any issues so he doesn't have a leg to piss stand on.

hfxChris

Database Admin
I'm not sure what you could've done to "fix" this... since nothing I experienced was what I would consider broken, just the intended operation of the software.
Proscan requires you to select a model when you create a database. This 'unlocks' certain programming abilities, such as allowing the creation of DMR and NXDN systems if you set the model to BCD325P2, or the ability to set the backlight colour for alerts if you set it as BCD996XT. If I set the model to 325P2 it won't let me set coloured backlight alerts. If I set the model to 996XT it won't let me create DMR or NXDN systems. And don't get me wrong, this functionality makes sense to me, which is why I never claimed anything was broken. But unless I missed something obvious that actually allows me to do both of those operations using the same database file (which I agree would make me a massive idiot) it seems to me that your unnecessarily passive aggressive response is both unwarranted and downright offensive.

{edit} I don't know what went wrong in your case regarding ProScan DMR/NXDN systems.
It's just a matter of setting the system type to MotoTRBO or NXDN Trunk.
On MotoTRBO systems, set the Color Code at the frequency level.
On NXDN Trunk systems, set the RAN at the frequency level.
...unless of course you're replying to the wrong person, because I have no idea what you're going on about here, since I didn't say anything about having difficulties entering DMR or NXDN systems into Proscan.

hfxChris

Database Admin
I may in fact be the idiot. I just opened Proscan, set the model to 325P2, and it's letting me set coloured alerts on talkgroups. I swear it did not let me do that in the past.

In that case I apologize.

Edit: Ok, I remember now what my issue was, it was a while ago so I wasn't remembering correctly. Yes I can set the model in the software to BCD325p2, and it will let me set everything up the way I like, but in order to upload the programming to either my BCD996XT or BCT15X the software complains that the scanner model is wrong, and I have to change it before I can upload it. That part isn't so much a big deal, but then I have to be very careful that the software doesn't go and overwrite my database file, otherwise it might wipe out something in the database file that the scanner I'm uploading to doesn't support.. such as coloured alerts which the BCT15X doesn't support. That's why I had coloured lights stuck in my head.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I may in fact be the idiot. I just opened Proscan, set the model to 325P2, and it's letting me set coloured alerts on talkgroups. I swear it did not let me do that in the past.

In that case I apologize.

Edit: Ok, I remember now what my issue was, it was a while ago so I wasn't remembering correctly. Yes I can set the model in the software to BCD325p2, and it will let me set everything up the way I like, but in order to upload the programming to either my BCD996XT or BCT15X the software complains that the scanner model is wrong, and I have to change it before I can upload it. That part isn't so much a big deal, but then I have to be very careful that the software doesn't go and overwrite my database file, otherwise it might wipe out something in the database file that the scanner I'm uploading to doesn't support.. such as coloured alerts which the BCT15X doesn't support. That's why I had coloured lights stuck in my head.
You can always save the 325P2 file that you want to use as a template.

Then close that file

Then change scanner type to your 996XT

In the database, create a new file (which will be blank)

Under Import, select ProScan DMA...

You'll get a screen to select whether you want to import some of the systems, or all of them

Once you've selected systems, finish the import option. You have to do it as an import because data in the file specifies which model the file was originally intended for. (You can see that by looking at the ProScan file with a text editor.)

At this point, you now have a file, with the same systems (or only the specific ones you chose to import) that you can edit, add more to, or load into your 996XT.

To take this a step further, I first set the scanner model to the 325P2. Then created a blank (new) programming file.

For the source of the import, I selected one of the Favorites files in the x36HP/SDS series version of Sentinel. I imported that into a 325P2 file and saved it. Now, I had a file for the 325P2 that had the same systems as in that Favorites list file.

Next, I closed that file.
Then changed the scanner type to the SDS100.
Then I created a new, blank file, which is configured (in ProScan) for the SDS100..

Then, in the database screen for the SDS100, I selected Import.
This time, I used the 325P2 file I had just morphed from Sentinel and imported that into the new file for the SDS100.

Once that is saved, I now have three files. The original source file, a Favorites list in Sentinel, is still there in Sentinel.

But now I have two duplicates, programmed the same way. One for my 325P2, the other, a ProScan created file for my SDS100.

Yes, it takes a couple of steps, but it's straightforward & can be done quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.