Best way to get my HAM license....

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawly1025

I'm looking to get my General HAM radio license so that i cant operate on the 2 meter band but was curious about the best way to go about this. I've been interested in radio communications for most of my life. My grandfather got me hooked years ago.
I don't live near any testing/class sites that I'm aware of and was looking to maybe take an online course? I doubt it would be anywhere near as good as an actual course that you attend but I think it's my only option. Just wanted to see if I could get some opinions on some possible options for getting my license.

Thanks!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Join here https://www.qrz.com and under the RESOURCES TAB use the Study Guides. You have to get your Licensee in steps
1 Technician
2 General
3 Extra
After you get good at taking the Technician test look on line for a Ham Club in your area most offer testing dates in your local area. I drove 45 minutes to take my test and passed.

crawly1025

That's great info.
You can operate on 2 meter with a technician license right? Then you can take the exam for General at a later date if you want.

W2JMZ

Join here https://www.qrz.com and under the RESOURCES TAB use the Study Guides. You have to get your Licensee in steps
1 Technician
2 General
3 Extra
After you get good at taking the Technician test look on line for a Ham Club in your area most offer testing dates in your local area. I drove 45 minutes to take my test and passed.

If you're ambitious and wanna get on HF fast most testing sites will let you take more then one test.

For example as soon as you're done taking the tech exam if you've passed you can take the general in the same sitting.

Also, go to arrl.org. They have a testing site finder there if you're in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crawly1025

Sorry to double post, but I did just send an email to the local club in the area in regards to testing sights or taking a class in the area. See what options I have.
Thanks for the website though! Gonna go check it out.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
That's great info.
You can operate on 2 meter with a technician license right? Then you can take the exam for General at a later date if you want.
You are correct.

But, the answers to your questions like this one and a lot more all in the study materials and other online resources.

Another good website for info like this Home - click on the licensing, education, and training tab. Pretty much anything you want to know about ham radio can be found on qrz or arrl.

prcguy

Even though I'm not a big fan of "Gordo", his training books are very helpful. I think if you use a combination of the Gordon West study guides, on line study sites and check your progress by taking sample on line tests, you will do just fine. Its also nice if you can find a local ham (Elmer) that is well versed on all subjects to answer questions or fill in more detail on subjects you might not fully understand.

You can take all the tests leading up to General Class in one setting if your comfortable with your progress. Good luck!
prcguy

NC1

These links have been very useful to me, and I passed both my Technician and General exams in one sitting:
First link is Technician study guide, second is General study guide.
(I just fixed the first link to Tech Guide, I had accidentally posted two General links the first time)

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf
http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-general-class-study-guide-v05.pdf

Take your practice exams at all three of these to see how well you are doing:

eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams
AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice
https://hamexam.org/

These might help you understand OHM's Law and other technical aspects:

Ohm's Law - The basics - Ohms Law Formulas Explained to save you time
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/voltage-current-resistance-and-ohms-law

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Are there any online guides for the technician class? Figure I'll get that one down first and move onto General at a later date.
Apparently you have not looked at any of the many links and info already provided to you by me and others in this thread. The study guides and practice exams online are for all three levels.

D

DaveNF2G

Someone said you could take all the tests up to General at one sitting. Actually, you can take all of the tests leading to Extra at one sitting. We just had someone do that at a VE session in Colonie, NY, a couple of weeks ago.

IMO, the "best" way to get your license is to take a class and actually learn the theory and regs, instead of taking random tests until your luck improves. Then when you go on the air, you will actually know what you're talking about.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You can go here to find clubs in your area. Looks like there's one in the Steubenville-Weirton area.

You can go here to find testing sessions in area. You can also go here to find exam sessions, but this site doesn't have a handy search tool.

WB2OEE

HAM RADIO License

To- crawly1025- I just read the other replies, all good. To find ham radio clubs in area. Get in touch with the American Radio Relay League in Newington, Ct. Some clubs have license classes and ""VOLUNTEER EXAMINERS"" , to administer the ham exams, "" THE FCC"" does not do this anymore. The ARRL can give you all the info you will need.. Home. Someone asked about 2 meters, do you need a license to operate, yes you do.....I wish you the best in getting your license---Steve

bgav

+1 on KB6NU's guides. I used his Technician No Nonsense study guide, crammed a couple hours a day for about 3 days, went over material about 3X and then took online practice exams until I could consistently get 30+ answers correct. I took my exam and scored 35/35.

I'll be using Hamstudy.org for my General, it tracks your progress and gives you the option of only seeing the correct answers in the question pool while studying.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
+1 on KB6NU's guides. I used his Technician No Nonsense study guide, crammed a couple hours a day for about 3 days, went over material about 3X and then took online practice exams until I could consistently get 30+ answers correct. I took my exam and scored 35/35.

I'll be using Hamstudy.org for my General, it tracks your progress and gives you the option of only seeing the correct answers in the question pool while studying.

KB6NU is local to me, and he uses these study guides for "Technician in a day" classes. The club hosts the event, with a testing session at the end.

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.