best way to mount this antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to mount an antenna to the rear bumper of my 2000 dodge caravan. It will only be used when the van is still, I will not have it up while the van is in motion. Here is a link to an antenna that is very close to what I have. Antennacraft? Colorstar C290 HDTV/VHF/UHF/FM Antenna : Outdoor Antennas | RadioShack.com I plan on hooking it up to my scanner to monitor the railroad and what ever else I can find. I might also hook it up to a small tv for when I go camping. Is there a kit for this or do you recommend a homebrew mount?

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
you realize that a TV antenna is for a different band, highly directional, and more importantly is horizontal polarized rather than vertical, the polarization alone could result in 20db of signal attenuation depending on the band. the polarization can be overcome by mounting it so the tines point up and down, but you may have to drill new mounting hole to do it.

as to how to mount it, if you have a tow package just use it. instead of putting a ball in the hole, put a pipe with nut on it. mount the antenna to the top of the pipe. it won't be stable driving down the road, so you would have to remove and stow it, those antennas are bigger than you think.

I did not know that the antenna is on a different band. I always thought that a scanner would work with just about any antenna. I am very new to this so I know there is alot to learn.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If you only going to use the antenna while the vehicle is parked why not get a magnet mount antenna and just take it on and off ?

Status
Not open for further replies.