TRX-1: Best Way to store NXDN Railroad freqs/and digital settings for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbenjamin722

Premium Subscriber
Hello everybody, I will be taking a railfanning trip later this week to a familiar area (first time railfanning with the TRX-1)..now I would consider myself an intermediate guru, owner of the trx1 for 7 months, this is my 4th digital trunking scanner of multiple brands, I know my way around general and some expert settings, Ive soldered my fair share of discriminator taps on my 20+ radios, and dabbled in SDR, however I am looking for advice on the best, or different ways of storing/and or searching for railroad NXDN freqs that may be in use around Selkirk, NY. The trouble is I have is there's no Railroad NXDN near me, so this will be the first test run.
With that said, I will be travelling with my trusty PRO-106 and my Icom F3021 VHF. they each have all older, regular 001-097 AAR channels in memory. So, what would be the best way to store the entire bank of AAR NXDN freqs in the trx1, and the appropriate squelch, digital settings for them?
Ideally, I would like to use one scanlist for the older, AAR 001-097 freqs (with EOT/HOT as well), and another scanlist for the NXDN list, and be able to use the trx1 on its own on a single tuned antenna. However, I realize scan speed may be an issue, and I would rather not miss activity on the older freqs... so besides going that route, I was thinking of also using one of my other radios for the original AAR freqs, and using the trx1 to search for NXDN activity...(I usually program everything myself, so I'd be intrested in settings to use for searching for NXDN.
Thanks for any ideas and advice...-Michael

BC_Scan

If it were me, I would just enter one set of freqs into a scanable object/file however you wish to call it and simply enter each as NXDN , dont worry about RAN or tg or anything, so should there be unknown activity you will hear it, put that entire file AAR in but as NXDN, than as they come alive (should) you will hear that activity. you could put the name in as the way they are in your AAR file so you can put in DB later on. Alternately you could just put TRX1 in search mode say between 159-162 Mhz to discover activity.Either way you are covered.

mbenjamin722

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, I actually didn't even think of using the limit search function, as I've rarely used it in the past, but that will be the easiest way to go to cover all my bases. I also made separate scanlists for all of the AAR channel plans, incl NXDN, in case i do need to try different digital settings...will post if there's NXDN action in Selkirk when I get back! -Michael

Swipesy

As a long time railfan I have found the GRE/Whistler radios to be the worse radio you could use for the rail band. They are near deaf in comparison to other radios on that band. Unfortunately wanting to hear NXDN limits your options. Happy hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.