Best Way to Use Favorite Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd suggest something like the following presuming that they are all conventional frequencies and I'm drilling down JFK only:

"F0 Favorites List" with FLQK of 0 and FL Number Tag of 0.
"S0 All Systems" with System QK of 0 and System Number Tag of 0
"D1 Home" with Dept Quick Key of 1
Channel 1 - Police channel 1 with Channel Number Tag 1
Other channels. . . (no number tags for these)
"D2 JFK" with Dept Quick Key of 2
Channel 1 - Regional center with Channel Number Tag 2
Other channels such as Approach Control, Tower, Ground, Departure, clearance delivery etc. with no number tags for these.
"D3 Military Aviation" with Department Quick Key of 3
Channel 1 - Tower with Channel Number Tag of 3
Other channels, with no number tags
"D4 Air Shows" with Department Quick Key of 4
Channel 1 - Air Boxx with Channel Number Tag of 4
This way all of the frequencies associated with "something" (like JFK) are in the same Department (or Group). They would have a Department Quick Key that you can remember (if you don't want this specific setup) AND the Channel Number Tag for the first channel in the Department is the same as the Department Quick Key. (Having these the same is easier on the memory.

This way if you want to get to JFK channels, you would press Channel>Period(.)>Period(.)>2>Channel to get to the first channel for that department. You can then scroll to get to the other channels in that department. To scan just the channels in that department, Press DEPT to hold on the Department and press Channel to release the Channel Hold and resume scanning (just the department).

Yeah, this sounds confusing, but I think if you give it a shot and work with it for a little bit, you'll get used to it.

gonzalu

Yeah, this sounds confusing, but I think if you give it a shot and work with it for a little bit, you'll get used to it.

You must be a mind reader LOL. How did you know I would be confused? I am sure it will make more sense once I actually use it.

My scanner is in for repairs right now (clock battery recall) so will try it when it returns
:)

THANK YOU!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's one of those things that would take getting used to.

I just now had time to take a close look at your Favorites Lists. Please take this as constructive criticism. It does take some time along with trial and error to learn at least some of the nuances of DMA programming. And you may have your reasons for doing what you did that are not apparent to me. If so, kindly disregard my comments.

That said, you might find a lot more efficiency by not duplicating "stuff" in multiple Favorites Lists. For example you have NYPD in several FLs. I'd suggest having NYPD in its own Favorites List and removing NYPD from the others. You won't be scanning the same thing numerous times before you "get" to something else. Also if the scanner lands on an NYPD channel you don't want to hear, then you have to press the Avoid button several times, just to keep from hearing it. The same holds true for anything you have in more than 1 FL - it should go in its own.

You have several FLs for spotting. If it was me, I'd have only those things specific to that airport in the FL, for example the Port Authority could be in its own FL, or perhaps a "General" FL.

Use of Quick Keys (System, Department) is hit and miss. Some Systems have Quick Keys, others do not. It's best to assign them, just to turn on/off easier. Of course with as much as you have, you might need a paper cheat sheet.

This is the way I would do things. You probably would find many other users doing something different. The best way is the one that works best for you.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The best way is the one that works best for you.

That's it in a nutshell. I have taken advice and suggestions from many and incorporated them into what works best for me. Take a little from here, a little from there, and add it to your own recipe. Fine tune it to your own specifications. Lots of good advice here in these forums. I'm sure if a group of us were to sit down at a table and pass our scanners around we'd all be shaking our heads and going duh at each other's methods of programming and how things look. But, ultimately, it's your scanner and you are the captain of your own ship.

For me, it's the ability to move around FLs (or SLs) quickly when something is happening. I usually have 2-3 scanners fixed on the same system so as not to miss much, but when it gets to hopping I have a scanner each for different things - 2 for public safety, 1 for mutual aid, 1 for news media, 1 for hospitals/emts, 1 for CareFlight, 1 for AM/FM news radio, etc etc so that none of them step on each other and I can hear what I want to hear in all aspects of emergency communications. I've got it covered, and a cheat sheet to refer to when the going gets tough. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:

gonzalu

It's one of those things that would take getting used to.

I just now had time to take a close look at your Favorites Lists. Please take this as constructive criticism. It does take some time along with trial and error to learn at least some of the nuances of DMA programming. And you may have your reasons for doing what you did that are not apparent to me. If so, kindly disregard my comments.

Thank you, not disregarding ANYTHING. I literally want to try all the different ways and learn ever more ways of skinning this cat (sorry to the animal lovers)

I indeed had my reasons for doing it the way I have. Most of it has been the result of trial and error, playing around, testing, scratchpadding (is that a real word?) etc.

The reason for multiple places for NYPD is two fold. If you noted any of the specifics, not all are the same. In some lists you may find only Queens and Citywide. In others, The Bronx, etc.

One principal reason was that I never intended to load al the FLs into the scanner at once nor turn them all on even if loaded in. So again, you are spot on in calling out any "mistakes" as you see fit. I am open to all criticism, constructive or not :)

Thanks again and keep it coming.

gonzalu

For me, it's the ability to move around FLs (or SLs) quickly when something is happening. I usually have 2-3 scanners fixed on the same system so as not to miss much, but when it gets to hopping I have a scanner each for different things - 2 for public safety, 1 for mutual aid, 1 for news media, 1 for hospitals/emts, 1 for CareFlight, 1 for AM/FM news radio, etc etc so that none of them step on each other and I can hear what I want to hear in all aspects of emergency communications. I've got it covered, and a cheat sheet to refer to when the going gets tough. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

JD
kf4anc

Thanks JD. I want to be like you one day. Right now I have only 4 radios to pick from. One day I'll have as many as you do :D

That being said, I have had the same idea of picking one radio for one purpose. SInce NYPD in NYC is still largely analog conventional, my 125AT works JUST FINE!! ;)

Cheers and thank you.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
You have a pretty good collection going on there. I don't know how long you've been in the hobby but when you get into your 60s and you've been sellin and swappin and wheelin and dealin for as long as I have, you tend to accumulate. The bigger and better desk wish soon turns into the bigger better room wish that soons turns into the bigger better house wish and … it never ends until you do:)

And, that's just with the radios - I have 37 guitars!! haha

And, a magnificent woman who puts up with it all :)

It ain't over till it's over, right? ;)

JD
kf4anc

gonzalu

LOL. My wife is UNDERSTANDING as long as I am understanding of her addictions (Jewelry, Travel, impromptu dinner at the local French Bistro)... you know, the usual stuff hahaha.

You should see my exotic flashlight collection

gonzalu

UPDATE:

OK so while waiting for my BCD536HP to return from the shop, I picked up an SDS100. I decided to use it as a guinea pig for testing my new FLs and all that's been discussed here.

I have decided to settle on a combo of options given here by many.

So, I am starting with FLs for each airport in my area. FL for JFK, FL for LGA etc..

Next, I turn off ALL the lists when uploading to radio. I turn on the list for the particular airport I am at.

Next to the FLs. JFK...

I have it broken down into systems like this:

ATC
NYPD
Airport Ops
Port Authority
MilAir

ATC
Approach
Tower
Ground
Departure
etc.

Approach then has a few channels for the different approaches.

ALL OTHER systems are set to be avoided. I will unavoid as needed.

So far is working out great. I just hit the Department/Channel to hold and use the main knob to switch around as needed manually. When nOT actively tracking and just enjoying, I take off the lock on System or Channel and let it scan the entire System (mostly ATC)

If I want to check out NYPD, I will unavoid it and avoid ATC... etc. may be kludgy but willing to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.