Better antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmundal

Okay I've been reading through posts all day about different antennas, and my mind is fried... I think I am over thinking, so I figured someone could easily answer my question.. ;)

I am looking for an antenna that I can hook to my PRO164, which I keep on a desk and provide a live stream. I currently pickup the 800mhz trunked system that the Fire Dept uses, at full strength with the antenna that came stock. If possible I would really like to add an antenna that will do a better job picking up traffic on the next nearest Fire area which transmits in the 154.000 - 155.000 range. Is this possible with an indoor antenna, or would I just be wasting my time? I realize I may have to sacrifice a little bit on the 800mhz band...but like I said, it already comes in like I'm next door to the tower.

Right now I can pickup most dispatches decently, but cannot get the traffic from the units back to dispatch very often, and they are always pretty scratchy. I am roughly 9 miles from the tower, at 300ft higher elevation.

If it were up to me... I'd put an antenna on the roof... but my wife already thinks I'm a fool... :)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Just tell your wife that you'd be a fool NOT to put an antenna on the roof. Pretty much any type of indoor antenna is going to perform poorly if you're trying to receive traffic direct from mobile units. That's why real radio systems put big antennas up on high places - because putting them indoors just doesn't work.

All that being said, you want 800 AND vhf high band? Some people here swear by Scantennas. I myself swear by Kreco discones... mounted on the roof.

I feel sorry for you guys who have wives who won't let you put antennas on the roof. Mine has no problem with that. I'm just not allowed to fall off.

prcguy

Tell the wifee that lack of roof antennas makes husbands irritable and cranky. This can lead to frustration and lack of desire for normal husband/wifee interaction. The only real cure is a roof antenna. Happy husband, happy wifee, everyone's happy with a good roof antenna.
prcguy

misterdk

If I wanted to buy a Kreco antenna where would I go to do that? I can't find a distributor anywhere on the web. Maybe I'm an idiot??? I don't think so.

hoser147

Check out the Diamond RH77 it would do good for the freq range you want, I get great reception off one in my bedroom listening post, FDs from 2 to 3 counties away in the VHF band.

Status
Not open for further replies.