Better audio from your scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Considering most all the scanners have bottom mounted speakers. Many of us put rubber feet on the bottom to elevate the the scanner to give the speaker room to breath so to speak. But the typical feet are only about 3/8" tall. I've resorted to external speakers for all my scanners. However I took delivery the other day on a new BCD536HP and I didn't have any extra speakers. ( I have to stop selling stuff!)

As a very temporary measure I found a very simple, free solution and it worked pretty well! I took a standard 3X5 index card and folded it in half, like a 'V'. I inserted the card under the scanner from the back with the open side of the 'V' facing forward and being careful to insert it just a little so as not to block the speaker so that the card acts like a reflector to direct more sound out from under the front of the scanner. It actually helped!

WB9YBM

Considering most all the scanners have bottom mounted speakers. Many of us put rubber feet on the bottom to elevate the the scanner to give the speaker room to breath so to speak. But the typical feet are only about 3/8" tall. I've resorted to external speakers for all my scanners. However I took delivery the other day on a new BCD536HP and I didn't have any extra speakers. ( I have to stop selling stuff!)

As a very temporary measure I found a very simple, free solution and it worked pretty well! I took a standard 3X5 index card and folded it in half, like a 'V'. I inserted the card under the scanner from the back with the open side of the 'V' facing forward and being careful to insert it just a little so as not to block the speaker so that the card acts like a reflector to direct more sound out from under the front of the scanner. It actually helped!
an article that might interest you is titled "Improve Audio at the Other End!" in the July 2002 issue of QST Magazine (pages 53-4)...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use the mobile mounting bracket mounted beneath the scanner.

That would well work for many but I move and change stuff around way too much to start screwing anything down. I tried a 19" rack system once but had to dismantle it only months after due to having different requirements. All my scanners are sitting flat-horizontal at eye level. I've never tried a tilted up mounting solution, I might have to try that.

As I said the index card was just a quick on-the-fly 'temporary' simple solution until I obtain another external speaker.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
That would well work for many but I move and change stuff around way too much to start screwing anything down.
I've done that primarily because I don't care about the 20 year-old table they're on. :) As an alternative, you could use the rubber feet the brackets originally came with to provide some stability. Anyway, what the picture doesn't show are the external speakers behind the scanners. Even somewhat hidden as they are, they still sound better than the built-in speakers. The upward tilt provides better access to the display and keypads.

ridgescan

I have my trusty old '95 Sony STR-D790 A/V receiver with Bostons/sub-fully dedicated to my BC785D and R8600. THAT is about the best audio you can get:) If I wanted, I could blast the whole building with comms audio.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I had completely forgotten the add-on two-position flip-down feet I have on the 996 which I had bought at RadioShack several years back. The left one is fully deployed, and the right on shows the secondary position. They attach using the supplied foam adhesive tape. (The desk dust is very photogenic, don't you think? :D) IMG_20190519_125306-01.jpeg

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I had completely forgotten the add-on two-position flip-down feet I have on the 996 which I had bought at RadioShack several years back. The left one is fully deployed, and the right on shows the secondary position. They attach using the supplied foam adhesive tape. (The desk dust is very photogenic, don't you think? :D) View attachment 71388

Wow those feet are cool! I wished Radio Shack still sold them. I don't remember ever seeing those. Yes the dust is very photogenic, however my dust is better than yours!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Yes the dust is very photogenic, however my dust is better than yours!
LMAO! These feet were marketed under RadioShack's Gigaware product line and were initially designed to be used to prop up the back end of a laptop computer. (P.S.: I've since dusted my desk! :LOL:)

RogerH11

I got a mobile TT/Conv as you couldn't do both at the same time back then on clearance and it didn't have feet or a stand so I used my nephews little toy animals to get it up a couple inches. Moo-moo the cow and what was the name of the small little people? Think 70/80's? These things
DCS_2477-1000x650.png

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That you did it shows initiative. That you told us about it makes me laugh.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
Just curious the 536 has an option that you can turn the display upside down. So why not try that and turn the scanner over and speaker is now on top?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I got a mobile TT/Conv as you couldn't do both at the same time back then on clearance and it didn't have feet or a stand so I used my nephews little toy animals to get it up a couple inches. Moo-moo the cow and what was the name of the small little people? Think 70/80's? These things
DCS_2477-1000x650.png

Mr. Bill of SNL comes to mind! Oh No...! :unsure:

Tramagod

That would well work for many but I move and change stuff around way too much to start screwing anything down. I tried a 19" rack system once but had to dismantle it only months after due to having different requirements. All my scanners are sitting flat-horizontal at eye level. I've never tried a tilted up mounting solution, I might have to try that.

As I said the index card was just a quick on-the-fly 'temporary' simple solution until I obtain another external speaker.

I do the same thing, use the mounting bracket, but I don’t “screw it down” to anything , I just use it as a holder for the scanner to elevate it, greatly improved the audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.