Better RISCON with a YAGI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have no issue receiving any of the zones in Warwick. Using an old TrunkTracker IV with the telescoping antenna it came with. Plenty of action in the East Bay also. All of Newport, all of Little Compton, Tiverton PD, Middletown PD and Portsmouth PD all use it every day. And then there are RISP, RIDOT, DEM and USCG..........
I was in Warwick last week with old clunker Pro 2055......picked up Mass state PD no problem...then took my BCD996P2........also NO PROBLEM with all the RISCON zones. Its my location thats the problem. Dean Estates RIGHT in my way. VERY frustrating because on the other side of there, elevation goes lower than where I live and everything comes in perfect! I told wife we have to MOVE up there if we somehow come into a lot of money!

alexandb

I live in the mountains of Warwick, off Cowesett Road. RISCON reception is dismal on a WS-1065 but better on a BCD325P2, have relocated the scanner, switched the antenna but no improvement. I have an old RS unit that has better reception

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I live in the mountains of Warwick, off Cowesett Road. RISCON reception is dismal on a WS-1065 but better on a BCD325P2, have relocated the scanner, switched the antenna but no improvement. I have an old RS unit that has better reception
Yeah RISCON reception is VERY spotty and to make it worse, probably many variables that affect it, most of which are impossible to troubleshoot. I have tried many things. I live in Cranston, right off route 5 north of Warwick Mall. Dean Estates is right in my path to the east, and southeast directions. It doesnt affect my conventional monitoring much though. But you go right over the top down to garden city, and everything clears up, perfect reception! VERY annoying. For RISCON I have been using a 6 element yagi up about 20' pointing due east. There is SOME improvement....the north and south zones are very close to perfect. Providence site is ok but still a little garbled audio....and the east site is pretty useless from here. The signal is ok but mostly distorted audio. I might delete it from radio cause it's not useable.
Hahahaha the "mountains" of Warwick! Yeah thats a nice high spot over there. You should be able to pull in the Mass state police system from there. I am seriously thinking of getting a G5 this Fall if I can save enough money. But I already spent $$$ on a sds200, and even with that radio I STILL get garbled audio, way less than on my BCD996P2 but it is a disappointment. All you can do is keep experimenting. Right now my sds200 is receiving reasonably well with the yagi, better than with vertical.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Location, location, location. That's the key.
Hahahaha yes! If it IS location to begin with!!!! This Fall I plan to pick up another yagi and mount where I can easily turn it and raise it to see if that helps. Right now the yagi I have is mounted in the best possible position after turning it and running up and down ladder multiple times. It's just a real pain to adjust it where it is mounted. (2nd floor gutter) But I cant put it any other place yet. So I will try mounting lower too when I get the other yagi and try some other spots. But it could be my location but what is it about my location that possibly is affecting my reception? Only God knows! Way too many variables to factor in. If I was motivated and it wasnt so damn hot out I'd take my sds200 mobile and test reception in various places. I mean test the P25 simulcast system here. I have an 800mhz mobile antenna.

Attachments

• 20200707_134519 (Custom).jpg
    20200707_134519 (Custom).jpg
    16 KB · Views: 13

sgblais

There is a huge difference between the Uniden products and pro-quality receivers like the G5. Most if not all of your reception issues will disappear. I guarantee if you spend the money you won't regret it. I'm sure WA1LAD would agree with me! ;)

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
There is a huge difference between the Uniden products and pro-quality receivers like the G5. Most if not all of your reception issues will disappear. I guarantee if you spend the money you won't regret it. I'm sure WA1LAD would agree with me! ;)
Yes I am saving up to get a G5 in the Fall. I have more confidence buying one cause I have NEVER heard anything negative about them. Nothing. I am sure they are very good radios.

wa1lad

I concur. The only thing that comes close to my APX-8000XE all-band portable is my Unication G5 800/VHF receiver. ;):cool:

hummin24

Feed Provider
I will EDIT my post because apparently you people dont like to receive the right information. You know CCRI is a tower site right? Theres only so many times that I can tell you its not the antenna its not the location (outside) of the antenna that effects RISCON. The scanners suck at monitoring the system. Get a G5 and be done with it.

Last edited:

wa1lad

;)Kinda tough when hummin24 is the smartest guy in the room.........However, depending on the RISCON Zone in question or who you may want to hear, the CCRI tower is a south zone only tower. That means it won't help with reception of any of the other users in other zones.........Let MY knowledge help make your scanning more enjoyable.....

hummin24

Feed Provider
;)Kinda tough when hummin24 is the smartest guy in the room.........However, depending on the RISCON Zone in question or who you may want to hear, the CCRI tower is a south zone only tower. That means it won't help with reception of any of the other users in other zones.........Let MY knowledge help make your scanning more enjoyable.....
I deserved that lol! Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.