Better understanding of ISP Starcom21

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
When I lived in the Chicago area I would have the local SC21 towers set up in a scanner programmed for ID Search. I would then lockout the local dispatch channels so that any traffic on the scanner was other than routine. It was very common for the local (Lake, McHenry, Kane and Cook Counties) sites to hear traffic on downstate talkgroups as these troopers were in the Chicago area for training, meetings etc. Like VASCAR2 described troopers often have their home districts channels selected when traveling.

ID Search is a great feature, it allows you to hear stuff you may never hear otherwise. Learn how to use your Lockout button and you can discover a whole lot of interesting traffic.

VASCAR2

I always leave my BCD996XT and BCD325P2 on ID search and enjoy hearing and figuring out new TG’s and users. I’ve heard special details all over the state on some of the ITTF, MBAS and IEMA talk groups. Let alone unusual traffic in my AO. I do the same on Indiana Safe T system and by using ID search I get some traffic that would normally be considered encrypted but are in the clear.

ilgrant

So to emphasize Rich's point...groups can be dsabled on the Uniden scanners. When the groups primarily listened to are disabled the talkgroups will not be heard during ID Search.

Status
Not open for further replies.