BEWARE!!! R2500's from Japan - NO P25 Connector!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
yes, it goes back to (28) and I'm not in the program at all. I close it, make the change, get out of regedit, open the program, no P25.
Go back to regedit, value is back to (28)

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
EricCottrell said:
The other possiblity is that the program reads the radio and sets the values as well. I do not have a radio. Scott should try it on the computer with the radio connected.

73 Eric

Well this can't be good. I just connected the radio, and bye bye P25 button. Given that the DV button remains, not a good sign kids.... :(

KC1UA

Database Admin
vince48 said:
yes, it goes back to (28) and I'm not in the program at all. I close it, make the change, get out of regedit, open the program, no P25.
Go back to regedit, value is back to (28)

Vince, did you take the UT-122 back out or is it still installed in the DStar slot while you're trying the above?

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Scott
Took it out and changed the value, reopened program, no P25. Closed program, installed the UT-122, regedit, changed value, f5, closed regedit, started program, no P25!

KC1UA

Database Admin
Like Han Solo said in Star Wars, "I've got a really bad feeling about this". Thanks for trying Vince. I'm beginning to think we're sunk. Why would the DV button continue to show up, and the P25 button never show up. I'm thinking that there is more missing than just the P25 connector. I hope I'm wrong. If that's the case I doubt Icom would even be able to help us with this one.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Oh Boy. Maybe Eric will come up with something. Strange, I never saw teh P25 button like you two did/ I think you are right. Something in the radio maybe missing. If you want me to try something else, let me know.
Time to have Fathers Day Dinner., Happy Fathers Day to you and everyone!

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Time for plan C. It may take a week or two but do not give up yet. The next test is to see if the control head will work with the card. Maybe the card will only work in the left slot and the connector needs to be soldered in.

A service manual would be nice. I wonder if they are available yet.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I got a surprise call to come to the front desk and sign for a package. My R2500 has arrived. I will not get a P25 option board until the end of the week. I will look at the radio tonight when I get home.

73 Eric

KC1UA

Database Admin
That's good news, Eric. I'll look forward to what you have to report. As stated (time and again) I should be getting my UT-122 tomorrow.

I was also considering placing a call to Icom's Tech Support department and explaining the situation. Given that you just received your radio today I may wait on that. One other reason I wanted to call was because of the possibility that I/we might need to return our UT-122's if it becomes clear that they won't work. I'm not sure what their return policy is and didn't ask as I never of course had any inkling that I could possibly be returning it.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I was able to take a look at the R2500 on a break. The power and ground contacts look similar. There is a transistor missing used to switch power on and off to the P25 option socket so it is not just the connector that is missing. I will know more when I get a chance to scope it out.

However I got an idea. The DV and P25 option boards have a option power mode that can be auto (which is the default) or on. Auto means to turn the board on when the mode is selected and on means on all the time. I suggest that the DV setting be changed to ON. See Page 119 for Software and Page 59 for R2500 control head. After it is set power the radio off and exit the control program. Power up the radio and see if the P25 functions get enabled.

73 Eric

KC1UA

Database Admin
EricCottrell said:
I was able to take a look at the R2500 on a break. The power and ground contacts look similar. There is a transistor missing used to switch power on and off to the P25 option socket so it is not just the connector that is missing. I will know more when I get a chance to scope it out.

I was afraid of that, but I'm not surprised. It's pretty clear now that the software needs to see "something" ahead of that missing connector to say "ok, turn on the P25 button". I bet the control head does too.

However I got an idea. The DV and P25 option boards have a option power mode that can be auto (which is the default) or on.

I was wondering how that might come into play. If Vince was clicking on the DV button though, shouldn't that have turned on power to the UT-122 board? Or Vince, were you looking for the P25 button to appear and as a result didn't click the DV button.

As Foghorn Leghorn once said, "this is more confusin' than a mouse at a burlesque show".

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Scott
I clicked the DV button. I played with the DV option in the Setting menu. I had it at auto, then on. I tried so many things last evening; I may not have done them in the right sequence.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Eric, Scott
Home now. Maybe we can do a little work before supper. Went in the DV menu, set to "on", exit program, powered down the 2500, powered back on, open program, no P25, just DV.

EricCottrell said:
Hello,

However I got an idea. The DV and P25 option boards have a option power mode that can be auto (which is the default) or on. Auto means to turn the board on when the mode is selected and on means on all the time. I suggest that the DV setting be changed to ON. See Page 119 for Software and Page 59 for R2500 control head. After it is set power the radio off and exit the control program. Power up the radio and see if the P25 functions get enabled.

73 Eric

KC1UA

Database Admin
This is probably the dumbest question in the thread, but have you sat on a known P25 frequency for a while to see what if anything happens? I know the P25 button isn't showing up, but maybe it won't in this case. There was a posting in the PCR2500 Yahoogroup by a person who believes he read somewhere that the UT-118 slot will work with the P25 board as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.