Bexar County Fire Alarm tones only

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
On the County/City system I am only getting tones and no voice from BCFA on all of the sites. Did they make the switch to Provoice after all these years of being analog? The VHF dispatch channel is still active but no voice at all on the analog BCFA talkgroups

scrotumola

It's about time someone else noticed....

On 04/04 I posted:

Big changes underway for the Bexar County Fire talkgroups.

For the last couple of weeks, all of their fireground operations have been directed to designated aid channels, with improvements being allocated to the legacy firegrounds. (I am surprised no one has discussed this)

I am to understand that operations will resume sometime in the very near future with a significant difference.

Historically, all of their operations have been in analog. Initial conjecture and speculation surmised a switch to provoice, but the latest rumor indicates a switch to P25, but that is several years out. Which phase remains to be seen.

As I understand it, the main dispatch channel will remain analog, as the vocoder cannot adequately reproduce/decode analog signaling needed for the VHF pagers, however all other operations will return to the aforementioned established firegrounds.

~S~
We now know it is just like SAFD/EMS where the tones go out on an analog TG and everything else is provoice. I was told the reason they finally switched from analog to provoice was due to the extreme difficulty in patching analog to provoice TGs. The TGs will now need to be remapped, I believe.

~S~

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
After all these years patching they now decide the difficulty is to great, gotta love slow government thinking. I know P25 is coming in the next couple years for this system so I guess we will all have to wait and see what route they go as far as phase and encryption level.

Status
Not open for further replies.